- Boy, will my students back at Princeton be amazed when I tell them about this!
- — Michael Wheeler src
Michael Wheeler was a professor of American history at Princeton University, and became close friends with Jonah Hex shortly before the man's death in 1904. He traveled to Cheyenne, Wyoming with the intention of meeting Hex to write a book about him. They became friends, and Wheeler spent many long evenings writing down Jonah's life story for publication. This eventually led him to take part in his first gunfight when he assisted Hex in taking down the George Barrow gang. The next day, Hex was shot dead when Barrow took him by surprise during a card game. Wheeler blamed himself because he had left his friend's side for the chance to ride in an automobile. He attempted to help Jonah's wife Tall Bird bury him but they were accosted by circus owner L.B. Farnham. Farnham murdered Wheeler and left the widow to die in a fire while he stole Jonah Hex's corpse to put on display at his Wild West Revue.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 1 Appearances of Michael Wheeler (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Michael Wheeler (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Michael Wheeler (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Michael Wheeler (New Earth)