- So far everything is perfect -- The motor parts come from different factories, and the design is one of which the world has never heard!
- — Mickey Malone src
In 1942, while still a civilian, young Mickey Malone designed and built a warplane, in a cave. This plane was lighter, faster, and more nimble than similar single-engine fighters of its time. He then adopted a secret identity.
- Phantom Eagle Aircraft: Mickey Malone created his own aircraft in a cave, with his own materials. It has been through many major aerial gunfights, in and around America, and abroad.
- Wing-mounted machine guns
- This version of the Phantom Eagle, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- The Phantom Eagle plane was built in a hidden mountain cavern, about ten miles from the U.S. Army air base where Mickey Malone was a civilian maintenance worker.
- Mickey's "Phantom Eagle" fighter plane looks very much like a Bell P-39 Airacobra, a low-altitude fighter-bomber introduced in 1941.
- Wow Comics #6 - 69
- 39 Appearances of Mickey Malone (Earth-S)
- 2 Images featuring Mickey Malone (Earth-S)
- 3 Quotations by or about Mickey Malone (Earth-S)
- Character Gallery: Mickey Malone (Earth-S)