Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- Let me be clear. I have the technology in my body to track you across the Multiverse and torture you in ways that test the boundaries of your anatomy. I've washed the blood of Gods off my knuckles when they've misbehaved. I will find you and deliver you to a personal hell. I'm the Midnighter.
- — Midnighter src
Midnighter, sometimes known as his alias of Lucas Trent, is a vigilante formerly attached to Stormwatch, before becoming an agent of the Garden.
At the age of fourteen, farmhand Lucas Trent was abducted by aliens while he was returning home from a day's work. The aliens experimented on him and others. While one of the other test subjects, Andrew Pulaski, was given powers on the level of Superman, Lucas had a more subtle power set. Some ten years after Pulaski was kidnapped, Trent escaped captivity, and set out to work as a mercenary.
Lucas has been following Apollo - his former fellow captive Pulaski - for over a year and decided to reveal himself by intervening in Stormwatch's recruitment attempt. He had admiration for Apollo's methods and drive, and praised him on violently taking down a child pornography ring. Martian Manhunter had originally only wanted Apollo for their team, but after seeing Midnighter prove his worth by showing off his skills, J'onn invited both to join.
At some point in time, Midnighter left Stormwatch and became an operative of The Garden, working against Spyral and Agent 37, Dick Grayson. During this time, Apollo left him after he revealed that Lucas Trent is not his real name; after his initial sadness, he started to actively date again. He was looking for fun, companionship and love, not having ever known what any of them truly were, as he had only ever had one person in his life. He also took up the name/title 'M', saying that it was time for a change, and that Lucas isn't his real name. He also began to search for the truth of what happened to him when he was younger and why it had to happen to him.
Powers and Abilities
- Muscular Implants
- Battle Precognition: Midnighter possesses a Neural-Inductive Combat Simulator in his head, which is programmed with every possible scenario in any fight.
- Enhanced Strength: Midnighter's strength is so great that he is able to rip demons to pieces with his blows and decapitate Iron Cross with a single kick.
- Enhanced Durability
- Enhanced Speed
- Enhanced Vision
- Accelerated Healing
- Carbon Fiber Armor
- Midnighter was created by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, first appearing in StormWatch (Volume 2) #4. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Midnighter first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Stormwatch (Volume 3) #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda.
- 86 Appearances of Midnighter (Prime Earth)
- 61 Images featuring Midnighter (Prime Earth)
- 12 Quotations by or about Midnighter (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Midnighter (Prime Earth)