- They scoffed at me! I swore then I would get revenge! Now another war is flaming across the ocean and I send my invisible men to steal all the secrets of the United States!
- — The Mist src
The Mist was the archenemy of Starman (Ted Knight), in the 1940s, and over the following half-century, the children of both men got caught up in that feud.
A brilliant chemist, he invented a formula to render people and objects invisible. He attempted to sell his invention to the United States Government during World War I, but he was rejected. He swore revenge by assisting the Axis powers during World War II by sending invisible agents to steal America's military secrets.
Several decades later, the Mist later sold his soul to the demon Neron in exchange for restoring his sanity. Ultimately, Mist grew tired of living and decided to commit suicide by detonating a nuclear weapon in Opal City at the moment of his death. However, he failed to destroy the city, when the original Starman came out of retirement, and used his Gravity Rod to lift the bomb, and themselves, into orbit. In his final moments, the Mist made peace with Starman just before his heart stopped.
Powers and Abilities
- Density Control: The Mist is a chemically altered human capable of altering his physical density and that of other objects into a gaseous form.
- Hypnosis: He is able to hypnotically control those that came into contact with his vaporous state.
- Chemistry: Inventor of the Inviso-Solution.
- Inviso-Solution: The Mist's signature creation, a chemical which can make organic and inorganic materials invisible.
- A variation of this chemical allows the Mist to transmit his voice from afar, and to hypnotize others.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The history given above describes the background of the original Mist, introduced in Adventure Comics #67, Oct 1941. In the 1990s, parts of this character's back story were quietly retconned, by Matt Wagner and James Robinson. He now was a physicist, who had failed to sell the War Department a disintegrator ray, in the mid-1930s, and his citizenship was less clear-cut: possibly Canadian, possibly American. Unlike the nameless early version, this Mist went by "Jonathan Smythe", although it was doubtful that this was his real name. He had served in the First World War and been awarded the Victoria Cross. Despite all that, the character's appearance and modus operandi have remained stable over the decades.
- 48 Appearances of Mist (New Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Mist (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Mist (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mist (New Earth)
Secret Society of Super-Villains member