"Blackhawk: "Famine in Samanthia"": The synopsis for this issue has not yet been written.
- Break up into pairs and circulate throughout the town! Try to pick up some information that might help us!
- 1 Synopsis for Blackhawk: "Famine in Samanthia"
- 2 Appearing in Blackhawk: "Famine in Samanthia"
- 3 Synopsis for Dogtag: "Miss Quiz Radio Show"
- 4 Appearing in Dogtag: "Miss Quiz Radio Show"
- 5 Synopsis for Torchy: "The Rickety Airlines Gig"
- 6 Appearing in Torchy: "The Rickety Airlines Gig"
- 7 Synopsis for Will Bragg: "Floating Oil Company"
- 8 Appearing in Will Bragg: "Floating Oil Company"
- 9 Synopsis for Ezra: "The Fireman's Ball"
- 10 Appearing in Ezra: "The Fireman's Ball"
- 11 Synopsis for Choo Choo: "Broken Dreams"
- 12 Appearing in Choo Choo: "Broken Dreams"
- 13 Notes
- 14 See Also
- 15 Links and References
Synopsis for Blackhawk: "Famine in Samanthia"
Appearing in Blackhawk: "Famine in Samanthia"
- Mr. Febre
- Mrs. Malene Febre
- many thugs
- President of Samanthia
- Blackhawk North American F-86 Sabre Jets
- two US Relief Ships (Destroyed)
- SS Sam Johnston, 3rd relief Ship
- four submarines (Destroyed)
Synopsis for Dogtag: "Miss Quiz Radio Show"
Dogtag appears on a radio quiz show, in a blind panic of stage fright, he accidentally blurts out the right answers and wins a big pile of money. When he emerges from the radio studio, dragging a duffel bag full of cash, two grifters in a big truck are waiting for him. Posing as IRS agents, the con men start to shake down Dogtag. The FBI shows up and arrests them. With them comes a real IRS agent, who shakes down Dogtag even harder than the crooks did.
Appearing in Dogtag: "Miss Quiz Radio Show"
- Dogtag (Final appearance)
- two con men
- IRS agent
- Miss Quiz
- other contestants
- studio audience
- FBI agents
- big red truck
Synopsis for Torchy: "The Rickety Airlines Gig"
Torchy briefly works as an airline stewardess, for an extremely sketchy airline company.
Appearing in Torchy: "The Rickety Airlines Gig"
- Jasper Q. Mones, Rickety Airlines
- Mr. Grones, Rickety Airlines
- Pilot, Rickety Airlines
- big city
- Cannibal Island
- 6-engine deluxe trans-oceanic airliner
Synopsis for Will Bragg: "Floating Oil Company"
Hard pressed by his many creditors, Will Bragg partners up with Honest John Sharpe to form the Floating Oil Company, with himself as president and Sharpe as treasurer. They float an Initial Public Offering of their valuable stock, limiting investors to only $1000 apiece. Then at closing time, the treasurer gathers up all the cash receipts and departs.
Some time later it's learned that the company's "oil well" is under six feet of water, and Honest John Sharpe is missing, so Bragg is arrested for grand larceny, plus almost all his associates now despise him. Effy pays his bail and he's freed in her custody, at which news he tries to lock himself in the jail, but just then it turns out that there IS oil on the company's property. Fire Chief Swenson checked it out and it's real. This story gets into the newspapers. Everybody goes out to the site to look at it, then Honest John shows up with a tale about how, no, this is actually "fools oil", but as an ethical businessman, he offers to buy back everybody's stock at par value. Nobody falls for this, until he doubles his offer. All of Bragg's associates have now doubled their money, and everybody leaves before the clean-up crew arrives from a real oil company, because as it turns out, there was a pipeline leak, upstream from the F.O.Company's property, but don't worry, soon it will be fixed. Bragg ends up looking like a genius, at least according to Effy.
Appearing in Will Bragg: "Floating Oil Company"
- Will Bragg
- Mrs. Mahoulahan
- Peters the Barber
- Effy Gissel
- Fire Chief Swenson
- Officer Flannigan
- Honest John Sharpe (First appearance)
- Mrs. Mahoulahan's Boarding House
- Barber Shop
- Floating Oil Company Office
- Floating Oil Company Future Drilling Site
Synopsis for Ezra: "The Fireman's Ball"
Appearing in Ezra: "The Fireman's Ball"
- Ezra Jones
- Rollo Grant
- Myrna Moore
- Dean Dilsbury, Jr.
- Mrs. Dilsbury
- Fire Chief
- Manorville High School
Synopsis for Choo Choo: "Broken Dreams"
Appearing in Choo Choo: "Broken Dreams"
- Choo Choo LaMoe (Final appearance)
- Sir Frisby Curd
- Pamela Frobisher
- This is the sixth appearance of the team's North American F-86 Sabres, and so far no character and no caption has mentioned this upgrade. These F-86 Sabres have internal bomb bays and can carry at least two bombs. Conventional Sabre Jets could carry up to 2,000 lb of bombs, but those were attached externally, on the wings.
- Samanthia has a President and a Legislature, with a Minority Bloc that's aligned with the Reds. The capital city has a Capitol building, a waterfront, and a small train station, and much of the architecture resembles New Orleans. Nearby is an Old Castle.
- Mr. & Mrs. Febre are not explicitly identified as Communists, Reds, or Soviet agents, but they do address their underlings as "comrades".
- Blackhawk Squadron kills four more submarines.
- Blackhawk deliberately crashes his F-86 into a speeding torpedo. This is Blackhawk's third deliberate plane crash, his tenth lifetime plane crash, out of seventeen, and his second lost North American jet. Being a Blackhawk is dangerous.
- Last issue for Choo Choo by Gill Fox.
- Last issue for Dogtag by Bart Tumey.
- Also featured in this issue of Modern Comics were:
- Fuzzy by Jack Cole
- "The Jet-Propelled Puzzle" (text story, featuring Blackhawk)
Links and References
- Military Comics #14, Modern Comics #61, & Modern Comics #83
- Military Comics #4, Military Comics #6, Military Comics #13, Military Comics #14, Military Comics #19, Military Comics #33, Blackhawk #9, Military Comics #39, Modern Comics #61, Modern Comics #83, Modern Comics #91, Blackhawk #64, Blackhawk #70, Blackhawk #80, Blackhawk #81, Blackhawk #83, & Blackhawk #88
- Modern Comics #81 & Modern Comics #83