The Monitor Rox Ogama went renegade and became Mandrakk the Dark Monitor.
When the great Monitor Dax Novu began preaching that the Monitors' power was leeched from the Multiverse itself, Rox Ogama was one of the few who listened. Ogama realized that if the Monitors were already drawing great power from the Bleed subconsciously, then by consciously draining the Bleed, a single Monitor could easily become more powerful than the others. However, the act of conscious draining had a visible effect upon any Monitor who tried it, as evidenced by Novu himself, who became warped and monstrous in appearance as his feeding upon the Multiverse became increasingly overt. Ultimately, Novu became the hated Mandrakk the Dark Monitor, and was locked away.
To begin consciously feeding himself, Ogama first had to get rid of others who knew the secret. As Monitor Nix Uotan, Dax Novu's son, had begun to question the Monitors' effect on the Multiverse, Ogama poisoned Uotan's designated Earth, Earth-51, so that Uotan would be banished for negligence in his duties and his words would be discredited. He then began to undo the locks that held Mandrakk in his prison.
The Final Crisis provided enough distraction for Ogama to work at releasing Mandrakk, and by the time Monitor Zillo Valla had organized a force to try and stop Mandrakk's return, the monster was unleashed, and only the Super-Sentinel was able to stop him.
Ogama was cast out for his betrayal, but managed to find Novu's remains and drained the energy from them, becoming a monster himself. He then located the corrupted Ultraman and transformed him into a vampiric brute. Together they went and faced off against Superman, but were surprised when Nix Uotan appeared, having managed to reclaim his powers as a Monitor. Uotan summoned an army from the whole of the Multiverse, and he was killed with a combined blast of heat vision from the Supermen of the Multiverse and a giant stake in the heart from the Green Lantern Corps.
As Mandrakk, Ogama was able to draw energy from the Bleed, which he used in order to fly and shoot energy beams from his eyes and hands. He also managed to used this energy to alter reality, transforming Ultraman into the "Vampire Superman".
- Nix Uotan's claims that Rox Ogama had sabotaged Earth-51, coupled with his claims that the Multiverse was corrupting the nature of the Monitors, led some to believe that Rox Ogama was Monitor Solomon, a major antagonist of Countdown to Final Crisis. However, Solomon is the Monitor of Earth-8, while Ogama is the Monitor of Earth-31, meaning that they are separate characters.
- Ogama's name is derived from Ogma, the Celtic God of Writing.
- 4 Appearances of Monitor Rox Ogama
- 3 Images featuring Monitor Rox Ogama
- Quotations by or about Monitor Rox Ogama
- Character Gallery: Monitor Rox Ogama