Nam-Ek was a Kryptonian scientist obsessed with quantifying the healing power of the Rondor horn, but got too involved in his own research and became a human-Rondor.
Nam-Ek was born on the distant planet Krypton, and following a non-descript childhood there, entered a career in the healing arts. Realizing, as did all Kryptonian healers, that a good portion of what they did revolved around the capture and use of a native Kryptonian beast called the Rondor, whose horn gave off a unique radiation that healed all injuries and sicknesses in seconds, Nam-Ek felt that the prolonged study of a Rondor's horn would be an invaluable boon to science. However, Krypton had strict laws governing the care of the Rondor, and removal of the horn was considered to be a crime severe enough to warrant the harshest penalties Kryptonian law allowed. In earlier times, this meant the death penalty; in Nam-Ek's time, incarceration in the Phantom Zone.
Nam-Ek ignored these warnings, feeling that the potential benefit outweighed the risks. He killed a Rondor and removed its horn, and studied it until he had concocted a serum from the horn that would, he anticipated, produce the same effect. He then foolishly tested the serum on himself, drinking it to see what would happen. The result was a mutagenic change within Nam-Ek's entire body. His skin became purple in color and leathery, like the Rondor, and he grew a Rondor-like horn from the middle of his forehead. This horn had the same healing properties as those in the Rondors themselves.
The now-monstrous and foul-smelling Nam-Ek self-isolated in the ancient Kryptonian city of Xan for 500 years, cured Virus X, and was finally blown into the vacuum of space as an immortal by the destruction of Krypton.
Years later, Nam-Ek was found by the space pirate Amalak. Amalak had a deep-seated hatred of all things Kryptonian, but found that he could not destroy Nam-Ek by any means, giving him the nickname of the "Antibiotic Man." Once he'd flown into the range of a yellow sun, Nam-Ek gained powers and escaped to warn earth of the pirate's approach, but his monstrous appearance lead to a confrontation with Superman.
Amalak launched a plague attack on Clark Kent's journalistic colleagues in order to mentally torment Superman before finally killing him. The plot very nearly succeeded, but ultimately, Superman was able to best Amalak and use Nam-Ek to cure the Journalist's plague. Amalak apparently died of an accidentally-self-inflicted wound, while Nam-Ek was returned to the Phantom Zone.
Nam-Ek subsequently escaped the Zone, when the Phantom Zoners compelled the confused Quex-Ul to create a flawed Phantom Zone Projector that blasted them free. Nam-Ek was burned to a husk by the power of Nadira, but the power of his Rondor physiology restored him just in time to be captured by Wonder Woman and be returned to the Phantom Zone.
There was a second escape for Nam-Ek when the Kryptonian wizard Thul-Kar magically caused the destruction of Htrae, which tore open the barrier separating the Zone from the material dimension. As Superman struggled to repair the damage, and to contain the super-powered Kryptonian criminals, Nam-Ek remembered his previous burning and defeat, so was content to sit with Thul-Kar and wait out the conflict.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Nam-Ek possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Nam-Ek's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Nam-Ek can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Nam-Ek's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Nam-Ek's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Nam-Ek can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Nam-Eks can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Nam-Ek can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Nam-Ek is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Nam-Ek is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Nam-Ek is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Nam-Ek's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Nam-Ek is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Nam-Ek is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Nam-Ek can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Healing: The radiation from Nam-Ek's horn appears to heal all injuries and diseases in the bodies of others in close proximity.
- Regeneration: Nam-Ek is able to repair his body from almost any injury. Though Superman thought that he'd killed Nam-Ek with Green Kryptonite it has never actually been proven whether Nam-Ek is resistant to Kryptonite.
- Toxic Immunity: In Xan City, Nam-Ek exposed himself to all known Kryptonian diseases and they did not effect him.
- Self-Sustenance: Even in the light of a red sun, Nam-Ek could survive in the vacuum of space indefinitely.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Nam-Ek possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Nam-Ek, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- 11 Appearances of Nam-Ek (Earth-One)
- 4 Images featuring Nam-Ek (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Nam-Ek (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Nam-Ek (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."