Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Captain Atom is a Quantum-powered superhero.
Nathaniel Adam volunteered to participate in an experiment conducted by a research facility called the Continuum. At this facility, Dr. Megala's research was focused on the quantum field and on "dimensional transfer through M Theory". Adam was asked to pilot the dimensional-transfer vessel but is seemingly atomized during the experiment. Soon afterwards, he reappeared, now an energy-based life form. According to Dr. Megala, Captain Atom's abilities are largely nuclear in nature and involve tapping into the strong nuclear force, the energy that binds protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Adam's physical atoms are constantly splitting apart, giving him incredible power. His body maintains integrity by instantly re-merging these atoms, but extreme use of his powers can interfere with this process and cause Captain Atom's form to become unstable. This leads to a fear that at some point Captain Atom's brain might lose its molecular stability and he won't be able to fix it before it impairs his consciousness or causes him to suffer some form of brain death.
Nathaniel Adam had only been Captain Atom for a few months and was still exploring his abilities, constantly learning new facets to them such as his ability to perceive wireless transmissions from cell phones and computers. He frequently returned to the Continuum so that Dr. Megala and the staff could help him further understand his abilities and occasionally so they could stabilize his body when he seemed to be having problems. The world at large looked on Captain Atom with suspicion due to uncertainty about his agenda and the nature of his abilities. Some fear that he was leaking radiation and potentially poisoning those he came into contact with. Several have remarked that the Justice League may have rejected Captain Atom for membership due to suspicion of how dangerous he was. Despite this, Nathaniel chose to try and use his powers to help others on Earth, clandestinely if needed be.
- Quantum Field Manipulation
- Chronokinesis (possibly formerly)
- Molecular Reconstruction
- Size Alteration
- Density Control
- Bio-Fission (Formerly)
- Energy Projection
- Self-Sustenance (possibly formerly)
- Power Distribution (Formerly)
- Teleportation (possibly formerly)
- Quantum Armor: Ever since regaining his human body, Captain Atom acquired the ability to materialize organic metal armor that covers his skin. This armor stabilizes Atom's powers in addition to granting additional abilities such as;
- Superhuman Strength: Atom can easily lift a stone slab several times larger than himself, one-handed.
- Superhuman Speed: Atom can move so fast time appears to stand still around him, he can even keep up with individuals like The Flash with relative ease.
- Invulnerability: Atom's armor is durable enough to withstand missile strikes with no damage.
- Energy Manipulation: Atom's skill with energy projection has been enhanced to such an extent, that he can now fire multiple energy blasts simultaneously with pinpoint accuracy.
- Energy Construct Creation
- Energy Absorption
- Force Field
- Power Instability (Formerly): Due to being an unstable energy-based life form, Captain Atom had poor control over his powers. This also meant he couldn't touch anything without destroying it, including people. Due to his time-jump to the 1990's and back, and his subsequent transformation, Atom regained his human form. He now has complete control over his abilities as well as the ability to touch.
- Captain Atom was created by Joe Gill and Steve Ditko, first appearing in Space Adventures (Volume 2) #33. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Captain Atom first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Captain Atom (Volume 3) #1 by J.T. Krul and Freddie E. Williams II.
- 45 Appearances of Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- 30 Images featuring Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- 10 Quotations by or about Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Nathaniel Adam (Prime Earth)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2) #13
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #1
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #2
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #3
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #7
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #8
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #5
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #11
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #10
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #4
- Captain Atom (Volume 3) #9
- The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom #3
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.