Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Niccolai Tepes is the Mad Monk, a vampire that haunts Gotham City.
Mad Monk was later seen leading a cult of Vampires in Gotham's sewer system. When I, Vampire confronted them, he claimed that Bennett was no longer their king and it was Mr. Melmoth now. I, Vampire then ripped out his heart, killing him, which caused the other vampires to turn into dust.
- Vampirism: In addition to the various mental and physical benefits that vampires are heir to, they also possess the ability to turn others into vampires as well. Each new vampire is traditionally subservient to the one who "turned" them, but some strong-willed vampires have been known to rebel against their masters.
- Enhanced Senses: A vampire's senses are enhanced far beyond those of a normal human being.
- Immortality: So long as vampires continue to consume blood, they will not age beyond the physical state they were in when they first became a vampire.
- Invulnerability: Vampires are invulnerable to most forms of injury (certain exceptions apply). Bullets, blades and blunt objects do little to no damage to a vampire's body.
- Regeneration: In addition to being virtually indestructible, whatever damage a vampire does in fact suffer can be healed through the consumption of human blood.
- Superhuman Strength: A vampire's strength level is several times that of a normal human being and they are considered superhuman.
- Superhuman Stamina: So long as they continue to consume human blood, a vampire can function tirelessly without rest or relaxation. However, a vampire's stamina wanes the closer it is to sunrise.
- Psychokinesis: Most vampires possess some form of psychokinesis. Some are clairvoyant, others can communicate telepathically, some possess mind control. Particularly powerful vampires can control the minds of several people at once.
- Transformation: Vampires often possess the ability to transform into a variety of creatures or effects such as bats, wolves, rats or even mist. While their physical attributes may fluctuate during such states, a vampire's mental acuity is the same as that when they are in their human shape. A vampire who transforms into an animal may also benefit from that particular animal's attributes including razor-sharp claws, fangs or the ability to fly.
- Metamorphosis: Vampires often demonstrate the ability to alter their appearance at will.
- Mad Monk was created by Gardner Fox, Bob Kane, and Sheldon Moldoff, first appearing in Detective Comics #31. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Mad Monk first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2) #5 by Paul Jenkins and David Finch.
- 3 Appearances of Niccolai Tepes (Prime Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Niccolai Tepes (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Niccolai Tepes (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Niccolai Tepes (Prime Earth)
Expression error: Missing operand for -.