"Face to Face": Dick Grayson wakes up from a dream in which he was diving in the air along with Barbara Gordon wearing her Batgirl suit. When he woke up, he realized he was in Barbara's bedroom. She had tended his wounds after his [[
- For a long time I felt I had to cope with losing the use of my legs. I had to learn to get over it. And I beat myself up for the longest time. I couldn't "get over it!" I missed walking and running and turning on the bathtub faucet with my toes. It wasn't until I realized that I'd always miss my legs. It wasn't until I realized I'd never not miss them. That's when I could get on with my life. But I had to leave a lot behind. Dancing. Skating. Feeling carpet on bare feet. -- And you.
Synopsis for "Face to Face"
Dick Grayson wakes up from a dream in which he was diving in the air along with Barbara Gordon wearing her Batgirl suit. When he woke up, he realized he was in Barbara's bedroom. She had tended his wounds after his battle in Blackgate Penitentiary and when he was conscious, she kissed him in the forehead in order to check the fever. Then she told him that, if he was feeling better, she had prepared soup for him.
Outside of the Gotham Clock Tower; a group of armed men are considering their options of breaking and entering the tower in order to steal all the information from Oracle's files. Some of them go to the sewers underneath the building, unaware of the set of traps placed by Oracle around the building. The couple that are in the sewers are sprayed with regurgitant gas and when they try to cut off the power to the building, they receive an electro-shock that incapacitates them.
Some of Barbara's monitors show alarms in different zones but she disregards them as she is confident that her traps will work fine and that she will start worrying when the alarm of zone 12 is activated. Barbara and Dick are having lunch in Barbara's kitchen and Dick mentions that he could get used to that situation, implying that he likes being with her. Barbara leaves the room as fast as she can and goes to work on her computers. Dick tries to talk about their situation and Barbara tries to avoid the subject. Dick convinces her that they need to talk about them. Barbara tells Dick about her situation and her feelings since she lost the mobility of her legs. She tells him that in order to move on, she has to let go of things that made her happy like walking, skating, feeling with her legs and ultimately, she has to let go of Dick. He tells her that it doesn't matter to him as she starts crying. Dick asks her what can he do and Barbara tells him to give her some time. Dick agrees and tells her that he missed her and Barbara tells him that he is also missing a shave; while the alarm in zone 6 is triggered.
The armed group is still trying to get inside but they aren't successful. Their leader tells them that they are going to attack from two sides: they will go and attack the front door while a secret contact of their leader will strike the roof.
Meanwhile, Barbara is shaving Dick and after she is done, she touches his face and tells him that he is fine. Dick tells her that he wants to be checked in the way she checked his fever. Barbara kisses him on the cheek and tells him that he passed the test. However, they are overwhelmed by their feelings and they kiss in a loving way. Dick reaches for Barbara and holds her in his arms while they keep kissing and embracing each other, more passionate with every passing second.
Barbara and Dick are interrupted when the alarm in zone 12 is activated and the men at the front door cause a big explosion. Dick takes his domino mask and grabs his escrima sticks to go and check out what is happening. Barbara tells him that they are attacked from the front door but that zone 12 is the roof. Dick isn't sure what to do and before he can decide, the armed men break inside the main room. The leader of the men reveals himself as Pettit. Nightwing knocks out two of Pettit's men and then tells the former police officer that he stepped over the line this time. Nightwing is very angry and tells Pettit that he better call for reinforcements and someone behind Barbara and Nightwing replies that he already did. It is Huntress, who entered the building by the roof.
Appearing in "Face to Face"
- This is the first part of the storyline titled Ballistic Romance. The events of this issue take place after Batman: Shadow of the Bat #91. No Man's Land and Ballistic Romance continues in Nightwing #39.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: No Man's Land (2011/2012 Edition) Vol 4.
- This issue delves in the complex relation between Barbara Gordon and Richard Grayson, and ultimately states that they both have strong feelings for each other; as illustrated in page 19.
- There is a reference to NORAD; the North American Aerospace Defense Command.
- As usual in this period of time, there is a doll in Barbara's desk. This time it is a Batgirl doll that resembles her in her days in the role.
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.