Appearing in "By Force of Arms"
Synopsis for "By Force of Arms"
Billy Pettit and his group of ex-police officers broke into Oracle's Watchtower and Huntress was helping them. Nightwing and Barbara Gordon were completely surrounded and Huntress taunted Nightwing by calling him lover, because of their previous relation. Barbara said three key words that activated a blinding light in the room that stunned all of the intruders. Nightwing took a couple of guys down and then he took down Huntress before taking Barbara with him to the safe room in the Watchtower.
Huntress was mad at Pettit for using extreme violence against Nightwing and Oracle and threatened him to stop the senseless violence. Pettit convinced her that he would change but that sometimes, extreme actions were required.
Meanwhile, in the safe room, Barbara was preparing all the traps installed in the Watchtower but she noticed that Nightwing was too quiet. She looked for him and realized that he was burning up in fever. Nightwing muttered that it was nothing and when Barbara didn't get the meaning, Nightwing explained that what happened between him and Huntress was nothing, just a mistake from the past and that he was over it now. Barbara was aware of that and then she triggered the traps on the building to give them enough time to reach the elevator and get out of the tower.
Back in Gotham, the traps in the tower gased, electrified, created a high pitch noise and shot many of Pettit's people. The former police officer decided that he had enough and started shooting at random to the tower. Huntress tried to stop him but Pettit went berserk and was completely out of his mind. The attacks turned the power of the building off, leaving Nightwing and Barbara trapped in the elevator. They climbed out of it and started talking about what just happened before they were interrupted. Barbara and Dick agreed that they both had strong feelings for each other but before they could decide what was their next step, Huntress opened the elevator door and jumped to where the couple was. She was running away from Pettit's massacre and she used her knife to cut the elevator's lines off. The elevator dropped but it was secured with emergency brakes. They reached the lower floor and got out of the broken elevator. A couple of Pettit's men tried to stop them, but Barbara said another three key words and they fell in a water sink after the trap door on which they were standing was activated.
When they reached the garage, Huntress told them that they might have a few time to get away and before leaving she kissed Nightwing by force in front of Barbara. Nightwing was shocked and couldn't stop her. Barbara was a bit mad but without delay, they got inside a truck and drove away from the watchtower. Barbara asked Nightwing what was he going to do next and he told her that first he was talking to Batman and then, he would return to Bludhaven.
- This is the second and last part of the storyline titled Ballistic Romance. The previous chapter was in Nightwing #38. No Man's Land continues in Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #124.
- This is the last Nightwing issue part of the No Man's Land crossover.
- In this issue, Nightwing explains Barbara that his affair with Huntress was a thing from the past, a mistake and that he truly loves Barbara. However, in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #94; Nightwing returns to Huntress and kisses her in New Year's Eve. This is assumed to be an editorial mistake.
- This issue also marks the beginning of the downfall of William Pettit.
- Oracle's Clock Tower is heavy damaged in this issue and Oracle seemingly has to relocate because the area was now under Pettit's control. However, in later issues of the crossover, the towers appear undamaged and Barbara still uses it as a base.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Nightwing Vol 2 39 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Nightwing series
Links and References
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.