The Nolanverse is the unofficial appellation which refers to the continuity of the Batman feature films produced between 2005 and 2012 by director Christopher Nolan.
Films that take place within the Nolanverse include:
Video games that take place within the Nolanverse include:
- Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Alfred Pennyworth
- Lucius Fox
- Rachel Dawes (Deceased)
- James Gordon
- John Blake
- Selina Kyle
- Anthony Garcia (Deceased)
- Gillian Loeb (Deceased)
- Ra's al Ghul (Deceased)
- Talia al Ghul (Deceased)
- Bane (Deceased)
- The Joker
- Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow
- Harvey Dent/Two-Face (Deceased)
- Jacob Freely/The Man in Black
- Victor Zsasz
- Carmine Falcone
- Salvatore Maroni
- Gambol (Deceased)
- The Chechen (Deceased)
- The Russian
- The Italian
- Lau (Deceased)
- Joe Chill (Deceased)
- Floyd Lawton/Deadshot
- Waylon Jones/Killer Croc
- The films draw largely on the "Batman: Year One" storyline which was presented in issues #404-407 of Batman comics. The storyline, written by Frank Miller with artwork by Dave Mazzucchelli, re-invented the history and personality of the Batman, as well as those of his supporting cast.
- The novels Batman: Dead White, Batman: Inferno, and Batman: Fear Itself are tie–ins to Batman Begins intended to be set after that film, but they were rendered non–canon when The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were released and contradicted them.
- While Batman Begins was the only film in the trilogy to receive a console video game, mobile games were made based on The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. A game based on The Dark Knight was in development but was canceled.
- The world these films take place in was kept as realistic as possible. For example:
- The Lazarus Pits do not exist, therefore Ra's is kept dead.
- The Joker uses makeup to look like a clown.
- Harvey Dent had his face burnt by an explosion, due to accidentally drenching the left half of his face in an accelerant.
- The League of Shadows, Scarecrow, Joker, Two-Face, and Bane were chosen to be the villains of the trilogy as they could exist in the real world. (Metahumans were ignored to keep the realism of the Nolanverse.)
- There is no indication that other superheroes exist in the Nolanverse, unlike the Burtonverse (in which Superman was confirmed to exist).
- Although the Nolanverse films were ultimately standalone, Zack Snyder revealed in 2021 it was briefly considered to have them share the world of Man of Steel, which would have retroactively made them the start of the DC Extended Universe. Snyder noted that had this been the case, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who plays Bruce Wayne's successor Robin John Blake in The Dark Knight Rises, likely would have portrayed Batman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Characters from Nolanverse
- Other things related to Nolanverse
- Nolanverse's Comic Appearances
- Reality Gallery: Nolanverse
Links and References