This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
He along with Ursa joined with Zod in an attempt to take over Krypton, only to be defeated and sentenced by the Council to eternal imprisonment in the Phantom Zone, where they would no longer be a threat to anyone. As the gateway to the Phantom Zone swallowed the three criminals into that world, Non pounded uselessly against the gateway in order to escape.
Years later, a nuclear device that was thrown into space by Superman had detonated close to where the gateway of the Phantom Zone was headed, causing the gateway to fracture and release the three criminals trapped in it. Non along with Zod and Ursa headed toward the moon, where they easily killed three astronauts just by their physical strength. They soon headed for the Earth, where they discovered they had great powers, as Ursa found out when a snake struck her that she could emit heat beams from her eyes. However, Non was unable to use his heat vision as effectively or as easily as his comrades and needed to practice. They proceeded toward the small town of Houston, Idaho and there terrorized its citizens with the use of their powers, eventually bringing the U.S. military forces into the fray to try stopping them, but finding their weapons useless. Zod, Ursa, and Non then traveled to Washington, D.C. and forced the President of the United States to surrender to him in exchange for his life. When the President pleaded for Superman to come to his aid on live television, Zod challenged Superman to come and face him, not knowing that at the time that he had his powers stripped away by the molecule chamber in the Fortress of Solitude.
After days of impatient waiting, Zod, Ursa, and Non see Lex Luthor appear in the Oval Office, revealing to them that Superman is indeed the son of Jor-El, their jailer. They plan to converge upon Superman in Metropolis, where they hold Lois Lane and Superman's other friends at the Daily Planet hostage. Superman then shows up, daring for Zod to come "step outside", and he, Ursa, and Non engage him in combat throughout the entire city. However, Superman sees that the three Phantom Zone criminals are endangering the citizens of Metropolis in their flight and so flees, making them think he is a coward. As the Kryptonians and Lex Luthor decide to follow Superman to his Fortress of Solitude, Ursa decides to take Lois Lane along as a hostage.
Soon the five of them reach the Fortress, where Superman engages the Phantom Zone criminals without harming anyone else. But when Superman manages to grab Zod from behind, Ursa and Non both grab Lois, threatening to tear her limbs off if Superman did not let go, causing him to relent. Superman has Lex Luthor trick Zod into having Kal-El be put into the molecule chamber where he would lose all his powers again as Lois tearfully watches. But as Superman emerges from the chamber and bows before Zod, he takes Zod's hand and crushes it, proving that he had changed the chamber so that he would be protected while the Phantom Zone criminals lost their powers. Zod and Non then fell into the abyss, and Ursa followed as Lois Lane punched her in the face.
Powers and Abilities
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Non possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Non's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Non can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Non's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Non's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Non can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Nons can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Non can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Non is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Non is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Non is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Non's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Non is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Non is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Non can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Non possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Natural Lower Intellect: In Non's particular case, his lack of intelligence proved to be a weakness.
- The role of Non was portrayed by Jack O'Halloran in the 1978 film Superman and the 1981 sequel Superman II.
- Loosely based on the pre-Crisis Phantom Zone villain character Quex-Ul.
- Made his first videogame appearance in Superman for the NES.
- 3 Appearances of Non (Donnerverse)
- 4 Images featuring Non (Donnerverse)
- Quotations by or about Non (Donnerverse)
- Character Gallery: Non (Donnerverse)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."