Nuada Silverhand was the Queen of the undersea Atlantean city of Thierna Na Oge. Several years ago, her ambitious sister, Bres, conducted a coup against Nuada and with the aid of the Conclave of Twelve, succeeded in ousting Nuada from her throne. She sentenced her to die at the hands of a creature known as Sreng of the Firbolg. Nuada survived her encounter with Sreng, but at the cost of her right arm. The Atlantean physician Diancecht replaced the missing limb, with a mystically cybernetic organism made of silver. Nuada began referring to herself as Nuada Silverhand.
Soon after, Nuada met the former monarch of all of Atlantis, Aquaman. Aquaman pledged himself towards helping Nuada and together they escaped from the newly crowned King Bres' dungeons.
During this time, the Ocean Master had been acquiring the twelve Zodiac Crystals of ancient Atlantis. One of the crystals was housed within an artifact known as the Lia Fail. The Lia Fail served as the symbol of office for the king of Thierna Na Oge. Nuada used her knowledge of the mystic arts to aid Aquaman in his fight against the Ocean Master. After recovering the stolen Lia Fail, Nuada returned to Thierna Na Oge and deposed King Bres, thereby taking her rightful place as the city's monarch.
Nuada continued to work with Aquaman in indoctrinating the citizens of Thierna Na Oge into modern Atlantean society.
- Atlantean Physiology: Although a splinter species of baseline humanity, Atlanteans have evolved over the centuries and have adapted physical characteristics that make them more suited for life beneath the sea. A common misperception is that Atlanteans are amphibious. While this is partially true to some extent, modern-day Atlanteans can only exist outside of water for a limited duration before they begin to asphyxiate. Because Atlanteans have to adapt to living at varying pressure levels, their bodies are physically much heartier than the average human being, granting them:
- Elemental Sorcery: Nuada can tap into the mystical energy of the Earth in order to wield a variety of supernatural effects.
- Leadership: Nuada possesses great leadership skills and can command the respect of those in service to her. She is also knowledgeable of ancient Atlantean lore, and mystical enchantment.
- Asphyxiation: Atlanteans can only exist outside of water for a limited period of time or else they will dehydrate, asphyxiate and ultimately die.
- Zodiac Crystals: Nuada has access to one of the original twelve Zodiac Crystals of pre-Cataclysm Atlantis. The crystal is housed inside of an artifact called the Lia Fail, and allows her access to even greater stores of magical energy.
- Nuada was named for Nuada, a noted king from Celtic Irish mythology. Like his comic book namesake, Nuada was the ruler of the Tuatha De Danann.
- The ruling monarch of Thierna Na Oge is commonly referred to as King regardless of their gender.
- Nuada is also known as Airgetlem, Nuadu, Nuadha, Nuadhu, Nuadat.
- 15 Appearances of Nuada Silverhand (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Nuada Silverhand (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Nuada Silverhand (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Nuada Silverhand (New Earth)
|Aquaman Family member|
This character is or was an ally of Aquaman, and a member of the Aqua-Family and/or its supporting cast. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Aquaman Supporting Cast" category. See also: Aquaman Villains.