Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Nubia is an honorable Amazon warrior.
Before joining the Amazons of Paradise Island, Nubia was a woman subjected to a violent man, her captor who kept her in chains and constantly beat and raped her. That is why she is so grateful to Athena for Themyscira, the paradise in which she lives free from the male yoke.
Return Of The Amazons
When the mythical Olympian world collapsed and Grail usurped the throne of Queen Hippolyta, Nubia pretended to betray the Queen and support Darkseid's daughter until the Amazons could once again rally and fight for Themyscira's recover.
With Diana's departure at the end of the great battle that redefined the Multiverse, some Amazons fought each other for the title of Wonder Woman. Queen Hippolyta wisely imposed a test of courage, saying that the next Wonder Woman would be the one who dared to look at the head of the Gorgon Medusa inside a bin, and only the one whose heart is just and whose mind is not clouded by ambition would survive the petrifying gaze of the monster.
Only Nubia, without hesitation, agreed to undergo the test, but inside the bin instead of Medusa's head she found a golden crown. Hippolyta made her the new Queen of the Amazons while she herself would go to the World of Men instead of any other. The other Amazons were pleased by Hippolyta's choice, who also passed the royal scepter to the new queen.
- Amazonian Physiology: The Amazons are a race of warrior women that have received gifts and blessings from five Olympian goddesses: Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Hestia and Aphrodite. Nubia possesses the same potential powers as an average Amazon. These include:
- Enhanced Intellect: A gift from Athena, the Amazons have the wisdom to be guided by peace and justice.
- Superhuman Strength
- Superhuman Durability
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Agility
- Immortality: The Amazons were gifted immortality. The people of Themyscira lived forever, though could be killed in war or in an accident. Those who followed Antiope and Phthia and became the Bana-Mighdall lost their immortality.
- Self-Sustenance: So long as Nubia stays on Themyscira, she does not require food, water or any other form of nourishment to maintain her health and vitality. Although they are not susceptible to the throes of hunger, this does not mean that Amazons don't consume food for enjoyment. The Amazons frequently hold great festivals wherupon food is served.
- Amazonian Training: The Amazons honed their skills in many fields, aided by the gifts from Athena and Artemis.
- Bow and Arrows
- Nubia was created by Robert Kanigher and Don Heck, first appearing in Wonder Woman #204. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Nubia first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Wonder Woman (Volume 5) #75 by G. Willow Wilson and Vicente Cifuentes.
- 11 Appearances of Nubia (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Nubia (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Nubia (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Nubia (Prime Earth)
|Wonder Woman Family member|