The Huntress is a member of the Injustice Society, an enemy of the Justice Society of America. Originally operating as a hero under the name Tigress, she was later revived into a villain. She married the villain Sportsmaster and was the mother of Artemis.
Young Paula Brooks (approximately age 18–19) expressed a fan worship of Paul Kirk, the Manhunter, and so decided to train herself in both the martial arts and as a markswoman, crafting a special crossbow gun that allowed her to fire darts, in the hopes of becoming his partner. She first appeared in the identity of the Tigress during a special exhibition baseball game between the All-Star Squadron and the Young All-Stars, and then later stowed away aboard a plane heading for the Carribean to help the youth auxiliary team rescue Green Lantern and a young Jamaican female orphan from Baron Blitzkrieg. Although Paul Kirk did not accept her as a partner, Paula was given membership as part of the Young All-Stars. During that time, she frequently made a play for "Iron" Munro as well, which at times invoked a with her teammate Fury.
During a battle with the Nazi warriors known as Axis Amerika, Tigress was attacked and seemingly killed by the Valkyrie known as Gudra. She came back to life or was revived (it was unclear if she really was dead or not) with a new attitude which eventually led to her becoming the villainous Huntress.
As the Huntress, Paula fought Wildcat on several occasions in the late 1940s. She later joined the Injustice Society and married teammate Lawrence "Crusher" Crock, a.k.a. Sportsmaster. For a time, Manhunter took her on as an apprentice, even after she had turned evil.
Paula and Crusher's daughter Artemis grew up to become a supervillain herself, eventually becoming the new Tigress.
- Crossbow: As the Tigress, Paula used a small vintage crossbow and a steady supply of crossbow bolts. She has also been known to use throwing nets and bolos to trap her prey.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The Artemis entry in Who's Who: Update '87 #1 states that Paula Brooks was the daughter of Zatara the Magician's enemy, the Tigress. However, the Appendix in Who's Who: Update '87 #5 corrects this statement and clarifies that the Zatara foe was unrelated to Paula Brooks or her daughter Artemis Crock.
- 59 Appearances of Paula Brooks (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Paula Brooks (New Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Paula Brooks (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Paula Brooks (New Earth)
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.