Perpetua was one of The Hands from the greater Omniverse. She was the first creator of the Multiverse and the mother of the Over-Monitor, Anti-Monitor and the World Forger; Perpetua was also considered the most feared being in the greater Omniverse, out of all her brothers and sisters tending the infinite Multiverses. Her influence over Mobius resulted in the Crisis on Infinite Earths as well as all other Crises in history.
- 1 History
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Paraphernalia
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Related
In the very beginning of existence, there was only The Source and from it, the positive Anti-Crisis Energy were born and pulled together by an Unseen Hand. It was throughout the void of the Greater Omniverse that The Source sent The Hands, a group of super-celestial beings using the Anti-Crisis Energy to birth Multiverses. With the creation of their Multiverse, each member of the Hands would pass on and allow their energies to return to The Source. However the rogue among them refused her fate and wanted a vicious reality meant to live forever in a self-renewing loop of crisis and rebirth. The name of that rogue super-celestial was Perpetua.
20 Billion Years Ago
Once created, Perpetua explained to them that her Multiverse comprises of three main realms made out of the three basic forms of matter- dark matter, positive matter and antimatter, and created them to monitor these realms. She assigned Alpheus to the dark matter realm beneath creation where he would build the myriad universes of creation. Mar Novu was assigned to the positive matter realm, where he would guard the many universes that rose out of the dark from cosmic crises. Mobius was assigned to the antimatter realm where he would prevent the light of creation from breaching the Greater Omniverse.
Curious, Mar Novu asked Perpetua what her purpose in this Multiverse was, as her role as creator had already been fulfilled. She told him that she would remain to make sure that all of her children lived.
15 Billion Years Ago
Perpetua called upon Mar Novu to show him her greatest creation. Perpetua had searched the endless worlds of the Multiverse looking for the perfect creation, but could not find it. Disappointed in what saw, Perpetua bound the Martians with the Humans, creating the Apex Predators; perfect killing machines that would live and fight until the end of time. Upon seeing what his mother had created, Mar Novu told her that he found a cosmic judgement coming for them because of her actions and that she was well aware of that and wished to fight back. Perpetua then tried to share her point of view in vain, leading her to order her Apexes to attack Novu, forcing him to flee.
Two hundred thousand years later, Mar Novu told his brothers what he had seen and they agreed that her kinds, the Hands needed to be alerted of her doings. They were interrupted by Perpetua who witnessed their betrayals and sent her Apex Predators to attack her sons.
The Hands's response was to send the Cosmic Raptor to stop Perpetua's plan. Unable to defeat the Cosmic Raptor, Perpetua, her Apex Predators and the totality of her power were taken to the Source Wall and imprisoned in it. The Hands recreated Perpetua's Multiverse, allowing the Multiverse to evolve without intrusion. Perpetua was trapped and forced to watch it all.
After the recreation of the Multiverse, the story of Perpetua was hidden by Krona and the other Maltusians who gathered all evidence. She witnessed the tampering of Krona, preventing her Multiverse to set in a stable form.
She was forced to watch her Multiverse grow more and more unstable. She knew its final fate: it would die, and she would die with it. As the only thing that would break her prison was an action that would crack the very foundation of reality, Perpetua began to whisper in the mind of her son, the Anti-Monitor, instigating him to cause the first Crisis. After the Anti-Monitor's defeat, a crack formed on the wall, allowing Perpetua to whisper out, through the Multiverse, into the ears of those powerful enough to cause Crises over the years.
Source Wall Breaking
After the invasion of the Dark Multiverse by her last scion, Barbatos and the Batman Who Laughs, the Source Wall was finally broken and Perpetua was freed from her prison, the Totality which landed on Earth-0 after the wall breaking. Her corporeal form was restored by Lex Luthor with almost six parts of her dark powers unlocked.
At some point, she awoke and remade Lex Luthor into an Apex Predator as her second in command after the latter faked his own death.
While the Justice League divided into two them, one for the Totality's shards which were across time and the other for recruiting Mobius, Perpetua and Lex were heading to the Promethean Galaxy with the intent to recruit her son Mobius. Meanwhile, Hypertime was within the grasp of Perpetua, allowing the Legion of Doom, who were in different timelines, to affect them as they see fit without erasing their present.
Arrived in the Promethean Galaxy, she was confronted by Mobius and his brothers alongside the Justice League. During the fight, the three brothers merged together to form the Ultra-Monitor, strong enough to fight their mother. At the end of the battle, Starman and his analog from the past and future were going to open a portal to bring the rest of the Justice League who gathered the shards of the Totality across the past and the future. However, due to the fact that the psychic energy shifted toward doom and Hawkgirl's vendetta against Lex Luthor who previously absorbed J'onn J'onzz within himself, the portal closed before the rest of the league could join the battle and Perpetua was restored to all her might.
Perpetua came to Earth 19, noticing that this world has doom in its core but its people still chose justice thus, she destroyed this universe. She then returned to the Promethean Galaxy explaining her plan to Lex and Mobius and remade every human who believes in doom into Apex Predators.
At some point, the Legion of Doom returned to claim their rewards from Perpetua. Her response was to turn Brainiac into her throne and the other members as conduits of power for Lex now wielding the The Seven Forces of the Universe. Later, she came to Earth 44, asking its people on whether they choose to join or oppose her. Among all people of this Earth, Dr Will Tornado was the only one answering, telling her that whatever god she is, his machines have more divinity in their metal hearts than her.
Perpetua replied that these words have no place in her new design and started considering to destroy Earth 44 but was interrupted by a call from a helpless Mobius. Perpetua then tell Dr Will Tornado that she know a parfect place for his Earth and throw it toward her sons who were recently freed from their brother thanks to John Stewart's intervention but they managed to flee before the impact thanks to Alpheus' sacrifice.
Much later, Perpetua came to Earth-0 to confront the Justice League who had defeated Lex Luthor and gathered Hawkgirl, John Stewart and J'onn J'onzz. During the confrontation, J'onn managed to reach out the minds of all the people of the planet, trying to convince them to break free of Perpetua's lies which shifted the psychic balance toward justice, strings of energy started to wrap up Perpetua.
However, just as the victory was near for the league, the balance shifted for doom again, breaking free of her bonds, Perpetua explained that she allowed the psychic connection J'onn had with Earth's people to happen because she wanted them to see their people rejecting them since she was the creator of the Multiverse and also explained that she left a piece of the Totality across time for Vandal Savage who will recruit the Luthors to found a way to unlock her powers as she planned. She then obliterated the Justice League however without her knowing, the league were saved by the Quintessence.
After the fall of the Justice League at Perpetua's hands, the Multiverse was at her and Lex Luthor mercy. When the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 came to Perpetua, requesting more power, Perpetua's response was to turn their people into Apex Predator and killing Johnny Quick after his disagreement to join her.
After the meeting Perpetua had with the Crime Syndicate, she send Lex Luthor to Earth-0 in order to eradicate the dark energy incursion caused by the The Batman Who Laughs. Much later Lex came to Perpetua with the defeated Batman Who Laughs. However, The Batman Who Laughs used his superior knowledge to convince Perpetua to choose him over Lex as her second in charge. Perpetua then depowered Lex for his insolence and send him back to Earth but not before Lex learns that the glorious vision of the future he has had was an hoax made by Perpetua in order to manipulate him.
Perpetua was confronted by the Justice League at an unspecified date. She wielded all the Crisis Energy as the league were harnessing Doctor Manhattan's energy, consisting of all the Anti-Crisis Energy. As their battle raged, Perpetua taunted Diana, telling her that if she won using the positive energies, every history including those forgotten due to Crisis would matter, many people would be dead. Scared by this truth, Diana hesitated long enough for Perpetua to regoup call on The Batman Who Laughs. The fight ended on a massive blow that burned the sun and has exhausted both energies.
The Batman Who Laughs helped her to regain strength using the Dark Multiverse, whose three worlds of unending Crises made it a hub of the negative energies that would keep powering Perpetua through multiple antennas around the Multiverse. Having gained enough power to destroy the rest of the Multiverse, Perpetua took over reality and proceeded to reshape it as how she wanted, while rewarding Laughs with Earth-0, reshaping the world for him.
She destroyed Earth-22 as well as most of the universes that doesn't match her dark ideology, reducing the Multiverse from fifty two universe to only eight. Later, Perpetua came to The Batman Who Laughs, telling him that only six universe remains. Untrusting him, she also warns him about if he usurp her, her kind, the Hands would come, seeing what's been done in the Multiverse and they will destroy it all.
Perpetua would later destroy the House of Heroes and would sent her Dark Multiverse's minions on the Justice Incarnate and the Green Lantern Corps who were trying to destroy all the antennas in order to cut her off from her source of power. Thanks to Owlman who had trapped each tower with a detonator, they managed to destroy every tower and leave the areas despite this, Perpetua was still powerful enough to destroy the remaining universes though her unlimited source of power was cut.
After the rise of the The Batman Who Laughs, now known as the Darkest Knight, who tricked the Trinity in order to redirect all remaining Crisis Energy from three worlds of never ending Crisis to him instead of Wally West, Perpetua battled the Darkest Knight head-on, with all of the remnants of reality collapsing in the chaos around their duel.
Despite being cut off from their primary power sources thanks to the machinations of the remaining heroes, both powerful beings continued to war against each other. Growing exhausted and weaker as the remaining Crisis Energy was redirected to the Darkest Knight, Perpetua offers a partnership with the him, arguing that it's only her that keeps her kind from coming to the Multiverse and wiping it out. But the Darkest Knight is hoping for just such an outcome in order destroy them himself. With Perpetua all but spent, the Darkest Knight reveals his last trick, using his powers, the Darkest Knight pulls together the remaining parts of the Source Wall that had once contained her. Despite her pleas, the Darkest Knight seals her within the remnants of the wall and destroys them, ultimately ending Perpetua's life.
As the final battle between the Forge of Worlds-empowered Wonder Woman and the Darkest Knight raged, they fall back through time, to the beginning of the universe itself. They saw the Hand of Creation sparking the Big Bang which the One who Laughs has recognized as Perpetua's.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: Perpetua is a godlike being of nearly infinite power. The Monitor, the World Forger and the Anti-Monitor, cosmic beings of extreme powers in their own rights, were unable to defeat her without help from the Cosmic Raptor. Her power is such that her release made a burst of energy similar to the Big Bang that would expend an infinite expending universe. However, she is not strong enough to oppose the Judges of the Source.
- Cosmic Awareness: Perpetua can sense various events throughout the Multiverse such as sensing Mxyzptlk's assault on reality as well as Alpheus' attempt to replace it with a new Multiverse from the Sixth Dimension, the highest plane of existence.
- Clairvoyance: Perpetua can peer into the Fourth Dimension of time. She used this ability at least one time to watch the future of her Apex Predator.
- Bio-Fusion: Perpetua can perform Bio-Fusion on living beings like she did with the Humans and the Martians where she created the Apex Predators from them.
- Bio-Fission: Perpetua can perform Bio-Fission on others like she did with Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman when she splitered the soul of Chay-ara causing her to reincarnate as both Kendra Saunders on Earth after the death of Shiera Hall and as Shayera Hol of Thanagar.
- Energy Construct Creation: Perpetua can create and manipulate energy in a manner that creates matter from virtually nothing she shape the energies the Source provided to her into a Multiverse. She can also create and shape living beings from the void.
- Energy Absorption: Perpetua feeds on the cosmic energies generated from the Crises to fuel her powers.
- Energy Projection: As one of the Hands, Perpetua was trusted with the Anti-Crisis Energy by The Source, although she refused to use it to build her Multiverse. She wields the Crisis Energy, including the Anti-Life Equation, Chaos Magic and so on, the forces of doom which are about selfish desires and the suppression of the past in favor of the immediate moment. Perpetua can shape and control the totality of the energies of the positive matter, dark matter and antimatter realities.
- Reality Alteration: Perpetua has the ability to alter reality on a universal scale. She can create and destroy almost everything with the most casual act, from living beings to universes. Even while asleep, planets form around her fingers and galaxies born and die around her. She can alter the very nature of the Multiverse into a vicious reality meant to live forever on a self-renewing loop of its own importance.
- Resurrection: Perpetua was able to coalesce the remains of the Omega Titans into one being called the Omega Knight.
- Geokinesis: Perpetua was able to rearrange Earth-0, twisting its continents into bat-shapped lands, creating a new world for The Batman Who Laughs.
- Molecular Reconstruction: Perpetua was able to turn Brainiac into her throne and control it to capture the rest of the Legion of Doom. She was also able to transform most of the human beings into her army of monsters.
- Disintegration: Perpetua can dissolve living beings to dust with a mere thought.
- Superhuman Strength: Perpetua possesses immense levels of superhuman strength. During the Justice/Doom War, she was able to hurl Earth-44 at her childrens while they were in the Promethean Galaxy, which lies at the edge of the universe.
- Mechanokinesis: Perpetua can control technology to some degree. She was able to turn off the ship of the Justice League with a thought.
- Size Alteration: Perpetua can alter her physical size. There's currently no known limit on how much she can grow. She has shown herself capable of growing from normal heights to the size of several planets. In the Sixth Dimension however, she held the Multiverse in her hands.
- Power Distribution: Perpetua can grant access to Crisis Energy to others as displayed with Lex Luthor or when she gift Mobius the Anti-Life Equation.
- Telepathy: Perpetua can broadcast a psychic whisper across the Multiverse that invites anyone who might hear it to change history to make the present more important. This was the same trick she used on Lex Luthor when she projected a false vision into his mind in which everyone will worship him in one billion years in the future. She was able to block the psychic connection that M'gann M'orzz and Shayne J'onzz had with Earth-0's people with ease. J'onn J'onzz was only able to communicate with Earth-0 people because she allowed the connection.
- Telekinesis: Perpetua can manipulate the movement of objects and people with her minds as displayed when she threw Lex Luthor into a portal with a mere hand gesture.
- Immortality: As the creator of the original Multiverse, Perpetua is one of the oldest being in existence.
- Teleportation: Perpetua can make herself and others appear anywhere in the entire Multiverse with no issues, such as transport herself from the Promethean Galaxy, which lies at the end of the universe of Earth-0 to Earth-19.
- Dimensional Travel: Perpetua can travel to other realities at will. Perpetua is not limited to using this dimensional traveling power on herself as she can teleport others through portals.
- Time-Travel: Perpetua was able to send Kamandi, Justice Legion and the Justice Society of America back to their respective timelines.
- Perpetua created technologies capable of stabilizing Hypertime which she gifted to Brainiac, allowing him to steal infinite futures of death from Hypertime.
- Godhead: Perpetua created the Godhead, a spaceship which serves as headquarter for her.
- Perpetua was portrayed as the one who pulled the strings behind all Crisis events that happened in history.
- Chronicler ranked Perpetua as an Omega Class Cosmic Entity.
- Perpetua is portrayed as the hand creating the universe from Green Lantern (Volume 2) #40. This assumption was later confirmed in Dark Nights: Death Metal #7.
- 35 Appearances of Perpetua (Sixth Dimension)
- 10 Images featuring Perpetua (Sixth Dimension)
- 4 Quotations by or about Perpetua (Sixth Dimension)
- Character Gallery: Perpetua (Sixth Dimension)
- Justice League Annual (Volume 4) #1
- Dark Nights: Death Metal Multiverse's End #1
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #1
- Justice League (Volume 4) #22
- Justice League (Volume 4) #16
- Justice League (Volume 4) #1
- Justice League (Volume 4) #32
- Justice League (Volume 4) #33
- Justice League (Volume 4) #34
- Justice League (Volume 4) #36
- Justice League (Volume 4) #39
- Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen #1
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #5
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #2
- Dark Nights: Death Metal Rise of the New God #1
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #6
- Dark Nights: Death Metal #7
- Justice League (Volume 4) #30
- Justice League (Volume 4) #53
- Justice League (Volume 4) #35
- Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen #4
- Justice League (Volume 4) #38
- Dark Nights: Death Metal Rise of the New God #1
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."