Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I wander the world searching for others to help.
- — Phantom Stranger src
Judas Iscariot had killed himself after betraying his best friend, Jesus Christ, for thirty silver pieces. Rather than the Heaven or Hell he expected, he had found himself in a strange chamber, faced with the Council of Wizards. Though he felt he deserved his fate, he begged forgiveness, not knowing how dire his punishment would be. There were two others alongside him, and the wizards called them all the Trinity of Sin: The world's most egregious sinners. The wizards gave his punishment first, charging him with avarice, and forever branding the thirty pieces of silver that he had earned into his skin—though he knew that greed was not his greatest crime; it was the betrayal. He awoke in the field of blood, alive. This place was significant to the crime he committed. As he called out with confusion at his apparent resurrection, a Voice boomed down, urging him to put on the robe that lay nearby and complete his punishment. When he put on the robe, he realized that it was the robe of his betrayed friend and it held a transformative power. From the moment he put it on, he would forever be a "Phantom Stranger". He realized that with each act he did in the service of the Voice, he would be one step closer to redemption. Until the voice came again, he would have to wander and remain nothing more than a stranger.
- Chronokinesis: Phantom Stranger can pause time, allowing him to do his duty without disrupting others.
- Energy Projection: Phantom Stranger is capable of expending large amounts of blue ethereal energies which are destructive enough to tear through buildings and even topple the Spectre.
- Size Alteration: Phantom Stranger grows to incredible heights when he is exerting himself.
- Transformation: Phantom Stranger can change people from one state to another. He's changed the Spectre to stone and reverts damage he's done to buildings back to normal.
- Reality Alteration
- Phantom Stranger was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in The Phantom Stranger Vol 1. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Dan DiDio and Brent Anderson's New 52 Phantom Stranger series.
- This character is an adaptation of Judas Iscariot, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Phantom Stranger is considered the strongest of the "Archmage" classification, magic users who are either sorcerers who transcended enchanted objects and have become enchanted themselves or are higher beings that fell to a plane of existence.
- 82 Appearances of Phantom Stranger (Prime Earth)
- 49 Images featuring Phantom Stranger (Prime Earth)
- 13 Quotations by or about Phantom Stranger (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Phantom Stranger (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.