"Strange Harbours": A terrorist group calling themselves "The Snowflake" bombs an empty Hark Corporation office building, unearthing a mysterious alien structure embedded in the ground. Corporation head Ms. Anna Hark assigns her personal private investigator, J
- Poor bastard (Jim Wilder) has his body crammed with alien material and agrees to spend his life convincing six other people to do the same so's a lost spaceship can get home -- and she just wanted to play tourist in the same place he gave up being human. Don't know what's the bigger threat to my life and sanity; the planet or Planetary.
Appearing in "Strange Harbours"
- Jim Wilder (First appearance)
- Axel Brass (Cameo)
Synopsis for "Strange Harbours"
A terrorist group calling themselves "The Snowflake" bombs an empty Hark Corporation office building, unearthing a mysterious alien structure embedded in the ground. Corporation head Ms. Anna Hark assigns her personal private investigator, Jim Wilder, to find out what happened. Investigating the mystery, Wilder ends up breaking up a petty crime and chasing the thief into the heart of the bomb site. There he comes into contact with the object itself, and is instantly transported inside it.
The Planetary field team, also investigating the incident, is witness to both his disappearance and his sudden return moments later. He awakens in a Planetary hospital and shares an incredible story: The embedded object is a living, sentient shiftship that crashed on earth hundreds of millions of years in the past. It tells Wilder that there is more than one earth, and it was designed to sail "The Bleed" between universes. Its crew was killed on impact, and for all this time the ship has been stranded. Unearthed at last, it needs a pilot and a crew of seven to enable it to finally return home. Wilder has already agreed to help, and has been altered by the ship accordingly. He takes Snow, Wagner, and The Drummer inside, showing them an entire world of inconceivable beauty and wonder. Charged with assembling the necessary crew, he asks Planetary for help. Wagner states that Planetary's role is to investigate, at which point Snow steps in and promises Wilder whatever is needed. Shaking his head at his new fellow members' hesitance to do the same, he makes it clear that Planetary is about to become much more active in its reactions to the mysteries it investigates.
- This issue is collected in Planetary Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories.
- Jim Wilder is notably similar to Captain Marvel.
- Discuss Planetary Vol 1 4 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Planetary series
- Images from Planetary Vol 1 4