"Point Blank, Part One": Someone has captured Grifter and is about to execute him. As Grifter prepares to die, his thoughts drift back to how everything led up to this point.
- Later, there's just darkness. The kind that usually comes at the end, I guess. After hindsight has made everything clear... All the mistakes I've made, the things I've overlooked... all the bitter disappointments of this godforsaken shithole of a world. It's like waking up from an alcoholic blackout... and discovering that the girl on the next pillow is actually a pre-op trannie... And that moment somehow represents everything you ever believed about reality. But, of course, by then it's too late... Because you've realized the truth about life right at the end... and all you can do is wait for the final blow.
Appearing in "Point Blank, Part One"
- Holden Carver (flash-forward)
- Marcov (flash-forward)
- Team 7 (In a photograph only)
- Whitey the Wino (drunk)
- Yvonne (bartender)
- Zoltof (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Point Blank, Part One"
Someone has captured Grifter and is about to execute him. As Grifter prepares to die, his thoughts drift back to how everything led up to this point.
Ten days earlier at The Domino, the new hangout for superhumans in New York City, Grifter waits for his old Team 7 buddy John Lynch to meet him. Lynch asks for Grifter's help on a job. Grifter reluctantly agrees.
Grifter meets Lynch by the docks and Lynch tells him they're going to stop an international crime from happening on American soil but won't give more details. The two easily stop the deal from going down and Lynch interrogates one of the lackeys on the job. When he's gotten the information he wants Lynch uses his powers to erase the lackey's mind, much to Grifter surprise who helps Lynch to his feet after using The Rush, which weakens a person after use.
The pair continue to take down people in several meetings over the next few weeks and as Grifter sees Lynch use his power after each raid, he realizes that was truly why Lynch wanted Grifter around; to watch his back after The Rush made him vulnerable. He also finds that Lynch is looking for someone named Carver.
But as time progresses, Grifter starts experiencing deja vu and it begins to spook him. Grifter sets out to meet Lynch once more but finds a scene with the police. Lynch is laying on the ground, a bullet in his head. He's alive, but just barely.
- This issue is reprinted in the Point Blank collected edition.
- Cash and Lynch mention the funeral of Deathblow.
- Cash and Lynch mention recent events with Backlash.
- Lynch explains to Grifter that I.O. no longer exists.
- Discuss Point Blank Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Point Blank series
- Images from Point Blank Vol 1 1