"A Groovy Kind of Love": Power Girl and Vartox have been fighting the IX Negaspike's spawn for hours, but nothing appears to affect them. They are indestructible albeit not very smart. Power Girl notices they are less smart the Negaspike they wer
- "Pregno-Ray"? Seriously? You just said Pregno-Ray out loud?
Appearing in "A Groovy Kind of Love"
- Power Girl's cat
- Mr. Guiseppe (Single appearance)
- Vartox's Pregno-Ray
- Vartox's Interstellar Head Ship
Synopsis for "A Groovy Kind of Love"
Power Girl and Vartox have been fighting the IX Negaspike's spawn for hours, but nothing appears to affect them. They are indestructible albeit not very smart. Power Girl notices they are less smart the Negaspike they were split from and comes up with a plan. She and Vartox breath-freeze and shatter the Negaspikes into pieces. They regenerate again, but now they completely lack intelligence and killer instinct. Power Girl correctly guessed Negaspikes can't regenerate brain matter and have to split it between their copies instead. Next, Power Girl freezes the monster herd into a ball of solid ice and chucks it out of Earth.
Afterwards, Vartox insists in inviting Power Girl to his ship in order to prepare a celebratory meal and explain Valeron's ordeal. Kara is suspicious but something about Vartox's suddenly fidgety behavior makes her curious, and she agrees.
Back on Vartox's ship, Vartox accidentally ruins the meal and the duo ends up ordering pizza. As eating, Vartox explains in spite of his seduction attempts he is a widower and not looking to remarry. His planet's enemies' contraceptive bomb rendered Valeronians incapable of procreating. Power Girl points out she can't repopulate a whole planet since even her body has limits, and Vartox mumbles he wasn't referring to that particular reproductive method.
Vartox shows Kara the fertility room, a chamber with two chairs and a glowing, floating, egg-like structure in the center. Kara tries to not snicker as Vartox explains after being properly stimulated, the fertilizor will fire a pregno ray which will revert the effects of the bomb while impregnating all Valeronians who will give birth to themselves in new bodies. It is a kind of spiritual rebirth, so Kara doesn't need to worry about offspring. So, Kara touches the device, which shoots a ray... and it is done.
Kara goes back home and goes to bed, but before she can fall asleep, her alarm clock rings. Time to go to the office.
Somewhere else, Satana and Dr. Sivana meet up.
- No special notes.
- The title is a reference to the song.
- A sequence where Karen crushes her alarm clock bears resemblance to a similar image by Amanda Conner in Garth Ennis' The Pro where the protagonist in turn is a parody on Power Girl.
- The dress that Power Girl recieves on Vartox's ship is another cultural reference to Adam Hughes' artwork Women of DC where PG was portrayed wearing an identical garment.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)