"All in the Mind": At the Ivy Town Hospital loading dock, a disguised Humbug drops off more boxes of himself. Ignorant of the danger below, consulting doctors discover a device in the base of Anton Kraft's skull, but the Atom is unsure of its
- Join you? Since I came back to the states, it seems like everyone has plans for me -- and I'm getting really tired of it!
- — The Atom
Appearing in "All in the Mind"
- The Atom (Flashback and main story)
- Norman Brawler (Also in a vision)
- Humbug (Apparent Death)
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Agent Fields
- Agent Shepperd
- Dr. Harper (Single appearance)
- Annetta Kaplan (First appearance)
- Anton Kraft (Flashback and main story)
- Darwin Jones
- Justice League International (Mentioned only)
- Joplin Police Department
- Ivy Town Police Department
- Jean Loring (In a vision)
- Batman (In a vision)
- Martian Manhunter (In a vision)
- Guy Gardner (In a vision)
- Agent Bailey (In a vision)
- Agent Kevin Smith (In a vision)
- Hungary (Mentioned only)
- Convience Store
- Humbug's Novelty Glasses and Nose (Also a Bomb)
- Gestalt Brain Implant
- Laser Scalpel
- Delivery Van
- Ford Bronco
Synopsis for "All in the Mind"
At the Ivy Town Hospital loading dock, a disguised Humbug drops off more boxes of himself. Ignorant of the danger below, consulting doctors discover a device in the base of Anton Kraft's skull, but the Atom is unsure of its purpose.
Two that did appear to know about the implants are Darwin Jones and Annetta Kaplan, who analyse Anton, and flash government I.D. They do not answer any questions and Ray appears to accept their story, but returns as the Atom.
Darwin and Annetta are using a device to remove Anton's "comatose babble" from the Gestalt, when Ray stops them. Into the midst of this situation, Humbug throws his novelty eyeglasses and nose, which the Atom tosses outside where they explode. The Atom gives chase to Humbug, and they delicately battle through an operating theatre until a laser scalpel destroys Humbug's skin. Then Humbug pops in and out of bodies he's hidden throughout the hospital.
Meanwhile in Joplin, the two errant C.I.A. agents become fugitives; steal an SUV, assault a policeman and rob a gas station. They blame everything on the Atom, and will pay him back.
In Ivy Town Hospital, Darwin explained that "Gestalt" was a project where implants tied the subjects brain -- including his brain and Annetta's -- into a computer, and each other. And the Gestalt mind is a genius, but it also produces a chaotic program from the unconscious that Gestalt built a body for -- Humbug.
Humbug pops up all over the hospital, and the Atom keeps pace. He destroys them until none were left... except for an eerie glow on a nearby computer screen. Gestalt no longer senses any Humbug bodies, and, impressed with the Atom, they ask Ray Palmer to join the Gestalt. Ray was not impressed.
- Ivy Town once again is mentioned as being in New York instead of Connecticut. The address of the Ivy Town General Hospital was listed as Ivytown General 34 Kane St Ivytown, NY 14215.
This is the second issue in a series featuring The Atom shrinking from his standard size next to the logo; in subsequent issues, artist Graham Nolan has him shrink until disappearing entirely in Power of the Atom #18.
- Discuss Power of the Atom Vol 1 15 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Power of the Atom series
- Images from Power of the Atom Vol 1 15
- Atom Recommended Reading