Prometheus was once a member of a tribe of nomadic humans who lived a cold, miserable existence on a barren landscape while praying to the Gods of Olympus via stone totems for fire and warmth which never came. Fed up with prayer and the God's refusal to share their warmth, Prometheus decided to venture to Mount Olympus to take the Olympian flames for his people. Prometheus ventured into Olympus and avoided it's obstacles such as the vicious Gryphons and a sleeping Zeus. Prometheus found the flames and used Zeus' Aegis shield to carry the flames to his people, and was hailed as a hero to mankind, while outraged Zeus swore revenge on mankind and Prometheus.
The Gods sided with Prometheus due to his heroism and bravery for his race, causing Zeus to relent in his punishment and reward Prometheus for his valor. Zeus had the Gods construct Pandora, a woman who was constructed long ago by Hephaestus and blessed by the Olympian Gods to act the living embodiment of all that is woman and presented to Prometheus as his reward and mate. Pandora was eventually given a box by Zeus as a keepsake to be which she was charged with never opening under any conditions, later revealed to be a trap set to punish Prometheus and mankind. Pandora was presented to Prometheus, who spurned Pandora since he correctly deduced she was a trap set by Zeus in the guise of a gift and left, while she eventually chose his older brother Epimetheus as her mate and convinced him to open the box which released great evils onto the world.
For spurning Pandora and ruining his plan, Zeus had Prometheus bound in chains atop Mount Caucasus where an eagle would feed upon his liver during the day and Prometheus' liver and injuries would grow back and heal at night to begin the torment anew the following day. According to the Fates, Prometheus would be cursed to remain bound until thirty generations of mankind were dead long after him, upon which he would be released and whisper a secret to Zeus that he had been keeping since his imprisonment.
- Immortality: As part of his punishment by Zeus, Prometheus is cursed to live until thirty generations of mankind have died long after him.
- Genius Level Intellect: Prometheus is known throughout the Greek World and others for his intelligence and innovation compared to other humans at the time, enough where he manged to sneak into Mount Olympus and use Zeus's own Aegis to carry the Olympian flames back to his people undetected.
- Indomitable Will: It is said that Prometheus' will shall allow him to endure his punishment by Zeus in strict defiance of Zeus' authority.
- This character is an adaptation of Prometheus, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- 4 Appearances of Prometheus, son of Iapetus (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Prometheus, son of Iapetus (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Prometheus, son of Iapetus (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Prometheus, son of Iapetus (New Earth)