- I'll tell you later .. quick! Get me planes and men!
- — Prop Powers src
"Prop" Powers was a very successful airline pilot, in the early days of the air transport industry, and later served in the U.S. Naval Air Corps.
Captain "Prop" Powers' professional reputation, within the nascent airline business, grew nationwide after some early encounters with organized air pirates, and Nazi agents. In 1940, well before the U.S. entry into World War II, Prop joined the U.S. Navy Air Corps, in which service he flew every sort of aircraft, from Curtiss biplanes to Douglas dive bombers.
Prop's new friend and fellow enlistee, Lank Loomis, of Tennessee, teamed up with him on many air raids and other missions. Typically he would ride along in the radioman/tailgunner's seat of a 2-seat warplane, and all piloting was handled by Powers. Loomis carried with him, at almost all times, an antique single-action squirrel rifle, with which he routinely performed amazing feats of marksmanship.
Some time later, Powers and Loomis transferred from the Naval Air Corps to the Coast Guard.
Powers and Abilities
- Aerial Combat
- Espionage Powers was known to do some undercover work, infiltrating gangs of spies and other enemies.
- As an airline pilot in the late 1930s, Powers typically flew Boeing 307 Stratoliners. But Prop Powers could fly anything with wings, and in his day he saw action in dive bombers, and varied other aircraft.
- Prior to his military service, Prop's airline employer had several seemingly-civilian planes equipped with machine guns.
- This version of "Prop" Powers, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- For at least the first four issues, the airline company for which Prop Powers works is not named. Starting with issue #3, the boss is "Mr. Wallace." This company builds some or all of its own transport planes.
- As is often the case with combat aviators, Prop Powers was shot down more than once.
- 25 Appearances of Prop Powers (Quality Universe)
- 1 Images featuring Prop Powers (Quality Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about Prop Powers (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Prop Powers (Quality Universe)