American Civil War
Turnbull saw his son Jeb go off to fight during the American Civil War in the Confederate States Army. He met his son's best friend Jonah Hex when Jeb brought him home on leave, and Hex helped him put down a slave riot. Jeb was later killed in the Fort Charlotte massacre, an event where Hex was framed as a traitor by the Union Army. Turnbull blamed Hex for the death of his son, and swore revenge.
Weird Western Tales
Many years later Turnbull begins to track down Hex, with the intention of having him killed for his crimes. His first effort is to send a team of five ex-Confederates to take him down, but Jonah manages to kill all of them. He next hires a corrupt Sheriff, but the man is killed during the confusion of an attempted Presidential assassination. In desperation, he puts a price on the bounty hunter's head and sends outlaws to do the deed. Hex returns to Richmond with the intention of making peace with Turnbull, but Turnbull has him captured. They put Jonah on a trial with the Fort Charlotte survivors as his jury, and he is condemned to death. Hex escapes, but is unable to clear his name.
During Blackest Night, Turnbull returned as a Black Lantern. He specifically terrorized his great-great-grandson Joshua. After being shot by a similarly resurrected Jonah Hex, Joshua pleaded for Quentin to save him, only to be shot dead by his own ancestor . When Nekron was defeated , Turnball returned to his dead state.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- In his first appearances, Turnbull was simply known as "The Man with the Eagle-Topped Cane" in publication. His full name and origins would not be revealed until significantly later.
- Jonah Hex Recommended Reading
- 23 Appearances of Quentin Turnbull (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Quentin Turnbull (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Quentin Turnbull (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Quentin Turnbull (New Earth)
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."