Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I've been told that someday I'll answer enough questions to get the answer to my own: WHO AM I? What is my true name? Until that day comes, I am the Question. I am the man with no face. It's a terrible thing to be.
- — The Question src
When magic was first harnessed by humans on Earth, the first magic users saw it as their duty to protect the Earth and humanity from those who would seek to harm it. These seven wizards of the Rock of Eternity summoned before them the three worst sinners in Earth's history for judgment. The Trinity of Sin as they came to be known consisted of the woman named Pandora, the man who would become the Phantom Stranger, and the Question whose sin had yet to be revealed. The Question was punished second after the Phantom Stranger and defied the wizards and the power that they claimed. He said that if they did not kill him, he would rise to power again and the wizards and the world would fear his name. The wizards then erased his name from his memory and the memory of the world and erase his facial features. He was then cursed to wander the Earth constantly questioning everything and seeking answers he will never find.
Centuries later, he was still wandering the Earth but was now dealing out vigilante justice. One such instance occurred in Hub City where he saved the mayor's kidnapped daughter and tied the kidnapper John Dandy to the top of a light post, leaving a question mark calling card behind. The Question was still searching for answers and seemed to be convinced that Pandora and the Phantom Stranger held the answers he sought.
The Question later appeared to Dr. Thirteen and asked him what it would take for him to betray the Phantom Stranger. Dr. Thirteen then called the Stranger and told him that he had information regarding his kidnapped family. When the Stranger arrived at the lab, the Question distracted him until Dr. Thirteen was able to stab him in the back with the Spear of Destiny. The Question then told the Stranger to "just shut up and die".
Powers and Abilities
- Question was created by Steve Ditko, first appearing in Blue Beetle (Volume 5) #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Question first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League (Volume 2) #0 by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver.
- 27 Appearances of Question (Prime Earth)
- 11 Images featuring Question (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Question (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Question (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.