Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
When his lover Kathy died, Rac Shade was tormented to near-madness. He created a simulacrum of her using the power of the M-Vest, which was a relic of his origin on the world of Meta. He agreed to join the Justice League Dark at Madame Xanadu's request after the Enchantress broke away from June Moon, and played a crucial role in the Justice League Dark's fight agains resurgent occult powers. At the same time, he fought an internal struggle with a malfunctioning M-Vest, which gave him visions of a deformed Kathy. The combination of the M-Vest's overwhelming powers and his grief resulted in a mental breakdown that led to him leaving the team.
Drawn into the Area of Madness by the M-Vest, Shade reunited with the Kathy simulacrum and told her he would not be returning to the team because the coming changes would leave him without a place among them. 
- Poetry: On his homeworld of Meta, Rac Shade was a famous, published poet, having inspired Loma Shade with his writings and tales of his adventures. 
- Rac Shade was created by Steve Ditko and Michael Fleisher, first appearing in Shade, the Changing Man #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Rac Shade first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Justice League Dark #1 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janín.
- 20 Appearances of Rac Shade (Prime Earth)
- 12 Images featuring Rac Shade (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Rac Shade (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Rac Shade (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.