- Dear Bruce.
I need to be honest and clear. I'm going to marry Harvey Dent. I love him, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him. When I told you that if Gotham no longer needed Batman we could be together, I meant it. But now I'm sure the day won't come when you no longer need Batman. I hope it does; and if it does I will be there, but as your friend. I'm sorry to let you down. If you lose your faith in me, please keep your faith in people.
Love, now and always, Rachel.
- — Rachel Dawes src
Batman Begins Time Frame
Rachel's mother worked as a house servant at the lavish Wayne Manor outside of Gotham City. When Rachel was eight-years-old, she befriended young Bruce Wayne - heir to the Wayne family fortune. During one of their play sessions, Rachel came into possession of an old Native American arrowhead. Bruce and she argued over the find, but ultimately Rachel came to keep the item. Years later, she would return the arrow head to Bruce as a gift.
The Dark Knight Time Frame
Sometime afterwards, she was then in a relationship with the new District Attorney Harvey Dent. She was soon killed in an explosion orchestrated by The Joker, which took a big role that lead to Dent's transformation into Two-Face. After reading a letter by Rachel that revealed her intent to be with Harvey Dent and marry him instead of Bruce, Alfred burned it to spare Bruce any more pain that would cause him more suffering.
The Dark Knight Rises Time Frame
Eight years later after the Joker's reign of terror and the death of Harvey Dent, Bruce was still in mourning over Rachel and would not let go of being Batman. Fed up with it, Alfred finally told Bruce about the letter Rachel wrote, what it said, and his burning it. Angry and hurt, Bruce told Alfred to leave Wayne Manor, since he intended to as an attempt to convince Bruce to retire as Batman. A picture of Rachel was still hanging at Wayne Manor, even during the events of Bane and Talia al Ghul's revolution over Gotham City.
Powers and Abilities
- Law: Rachel was proficient in many areas pertaining to criminal law.
- Taser: Because she was a hero in the city without a mask or powers, Dawes found a way to protect herself with a deployable taser.
- Rachel Dawes was portrayed by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins and by Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight. Holmes also voiced the character for the tie-in video game Batman Begins.
- 5 Appearances of Rachel Dawes (Nolanverse)
- 7 Images featuring Rachel Dawes (Nolanverse)
- 1 Quotations by or about Rachel Dawes (Nolanverse)
- Character Gallery: Rachel Dawes (Nolanverse)