The Durlan race has the power to change their physical form. He had orange skin, pointed ears, and antennae. He had no hair in his chosen humanoid form.
Due to the warlike tendencies of the Durlans, the planet entered a world war which culminated in the Six Minute War when Reep was only a young boy. The planet was left in nuclear rubble. The people were forced to survive in the wreckage, but due to their powers, they were able to adapt to their surroundings.
Reep lived with his father Ren Daggle and mother Zhay Daggle. Reep had a twin brother named Liggt Daggle. Reep's mother died when the children were small and their father abandoned them afterward to be raised by their aunt Ji.
Reep's father contracted Yorggian Fever and left the planet while trapped in the guise of a Human, and adopted the Identity of R.J. Brande. Due to being twins, the brothers were forced to fight to the death in the Durlan Right of Survival. Reep won and killed his brother for his chance of survival.
When Reep traveled to Earth, he learned of a new concept that he never knew before: "Prejudice". Humans and other alien races view shape-changers with great suspicion. He vowed to fight this bigotry and immersed himself in charity work and heroics. This is what he originally thought had brought him to the attention of R. J. Brande, who had his assistant, Marla Latham, recruit him into the Legion of Super-Heroes. He was accepted together with Colossal Boy, who suggested his "Chameleon Boy" code name, and the two became best friends through out their careers with the team.
Several years after joining the Legion of Super-Heroes, he found out that he was the son of Legion financer, R. J. Brande. It was also revealed that unbeknownst to both of them, his father was a Durlan too, but had become frozen in human form after contracting a disease.
He was sentenced to incarceration on the prison world Takron-Galtos for his espionage activities against the Khunds, which almost led to war. He was released after his heroics against Darkseid during the Great Darkness Saga. During his incarceration, he was forced to wear binders on his antennae that canceled his shape-shifting powers, although he regained them a few months later.
Five Years Later
During the "Five Year Gap" following the Magic Wars, Earth fell under the covert control of the Dominators and withdrew from the United Planets. A few years later, the members of the Dominators' highly classified "Batch SW6" escaped captivity. Originally, Batch SW6 appeared to be a group of teenage Legionnaire clones, created from samples apparently taken just prior to Ferro Lad's death at the hands of the Sun-Eater. Later, they were revealed to be time-paradox duplicates, every bit as legitimate as their older counterparts. However, SW6 Chameleon Boy was killed in battle (along with SW6's Princess Projectra and Karate Kid) fighting Dominion troops.
Chameleon Boy lost his father, R.J.Brande, who was killed by his rival, Leland McCauley, acting as an agent of the Time Trapper. To fulfill his father's last will, Chameleon Boy led the Legion Espionage Squad back to the 21st Century in order to shepherd the hero Mon-El on to his destiny among other things.
Chameleon Boy disguised himself as "Control," the commander of Metropolis' Science Police. There he was able to manipulate the organization, covering fellow Legionnaires Quislet and Sensor Girl, and hiring Mon-El himself, eventually. His cover was blown when a bomb took out the Science Police headquarters. He revealed himself to the Guardian and to Mon-El, but retreated in order to regroup with his fellow Legionnaires.
Powers and Abilities
- Durlan Physiology: Durlans can shape-shift at any time for any length of time with little limitation on size or shape due to their near total control over their Molecular Biology. As such their physiology is in constant flux, meaning no need to take a single form. The native chosen form was a giant mass of tentacles hidden under robes. By the 30th Century the Durlans were required by the United Planets to have a default form when off world. This form was an orange humanoid with with large eyes and to antennae on the their heads.
- Bio-Fission: Durlans can duplicate themselves much the same way the natives of Cargg can.
- Bio-Fusion: The Durlan race is capable of polymorphically shapechanging in unison in order to create warp drive able space ships out of their conjoined substance.
- Enhanced Senses: Durlans scan the molecular structure of any object or person they encounters via the invisible emanations emitted from their antennae. Returning as sound waves, the information is translated through their sensitive ears. Their chameleon power, through their antennae, records a person or thing's shape, which always happens when they encounters someone of something unfamiliar. They automatically absorb complete details of its structure so they can duplicate it perfectly whenever they wish. The process can not happen twice with the same person or object. Their sensitive antennae will detect any subtle difference - pore patterns, for instance - that will alert them to the uniqueness of any person or object.
- Elasticity: Having a malleable form, Durlans can stretch and extend their form despite being in a solid form.
- Elemental Control: Durlans in their shifted form can generate the functional capacity of most technological appliances. Such as ignition thrust for inter-galactic transport ships or simulating air supply for a deep space breathing apparatus.
- Shape-Shifting: Durlans possesses the ability to transform their body's size, shape, color and substance to mimic any person, creature or object and it's substance in the universe. A Durlan is able to reconstitute even if they are are reduced to a liquid form.
- Power Duplication Limitation: Reep is limited to the physical capabilities of the form he takes. For instance, he cannot gain a Kryptonian's enhanced cells. However, he can fly like a bird and/or sting like a bee.
- Reep Daggle is also known as Cham.
- Legion of Super-Heroes Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 2)
- The Legion (Volume 1)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 5)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 6)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 7)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 8)
- Legionnaires (Volume 1)
- Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- 390 Appearances of Reep Daggle (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 28 Images featuring Reep Daggle (Pre-Zero Hour)
- 9 Quotations by or about Reep Daggle (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Character Gallery: Reep Daggle (Pre-Zero Hour)
- Action Comics #267
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4) #8
- Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes #3
- Adventure Comics #360
- Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #1
- Superman #677
- Superman #686
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2) #295
- Invasion! #1
- R.E.B.E.L.S. (Volume 2) #7
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3) #1
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3) #19
Legion of Super-Heroes member