Reign landed on Earth as an infant and was adopted by Patricia Arias. She is later shown the pod that she crashed in and takes a crystal from it and drives to the desert with it. While in the desert the crystal begins to react to something, causing the creation of her Fortress of Sanctuary where she begins to learn of her Kryptonian heritage and where her powers finally manifest in full, after being delayed due to Reign becoming pregnant and giving birth at a young age.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Reign possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Reign's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Reign can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Reign's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Reign's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Reign can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Reigns can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Reign can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Reign is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Reign is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Reign is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Reign's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Reign is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Reign is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Business Management
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Bilingual: Once Reign's Powers and Abilities fully manifested Reign is shown to be knowledgeable in both English and Kryptonian.
- Multiple Personalities: After entering her Fortress of Solitude, Samantha was forcibly given the personality of Reign, who was a zealot for justice. Whenever Samantha becomes enraged at injustice, Reign takes over until the injustice is dealt with. Likely due to her strong maternal love for her daughter, Samantha was not completely erased by the forced reprogramming. Reign's time in control is often remembered in Samantha's dreams.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the television series Supergirl, its tie-in comic book series, and its related television series. It is an adaptation of Reign. The original character was created by Michael Green, Mike Johnson, and Mahmud Asrar and first appeared in Supergirl (Volume 6) #5.
- Reign is portrayed by Odette Annable.
- 5 Appearances of Reign (Arrow: Earth-38)
- 4 Images featuring Reign (Arrow: Earth-38)
- Quotations by or about Reign (Arrow: Earth-38)
- Character Gallery: Reign (Arrow: Earth-38)
|Supergirl Villain(s) |
|Legion of Super-Heroes Villain(s)|
This character or group of characters is or was primarily an enemy of the Legion of Super-Heroes from the 31st Century, and may have existed in any of the various Legion continuities, including but not limited to the Original Legion, Reboot Legion, and the Prime Legion. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Legion of Super-Heroes villains" category.