Mysto, the Magician Detective used the secrets of illusion to thwart criminals, in the 1950s.
After the Second World War was over, Rick Carter worked as a "wildcat flier" in the Far East. While piloting his plane above Tibet, Carter drove off a party of bandits and earned the gratitude of their target, a shriveled old man, from whom Carter learned the secrets of illusion (but not true magic). Returning to the United States accompanied by the old man's servant, Sikhi, Carter became a magician under the stage name Mysto. After saving a person from a murder attempt, Carter turned to crime fighting.
Rick belonged to a club of aviators, each with unique skills and rare daring, called "Partners in Peril". Along with Rick Carter, a magician-detective/aviator, there were Pablo Duncan, a photographer/flier, Medford, a deep-sea-diver/aviator, Prentiss, an explorer/aviator, and several other dual-specialty free-lance pilots. They held their monthly meetings at the Penthouse Club.
- This version of Mysto, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- While still operating secretly, Richard Carter was called "Mysto, the Magician Detective" as a moniker by the press. He later adapted his own alias to fit this image.
- 17 Appearances of Richard Carter (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Richard Carter (Earth-One)
- 1 Quotations by or about Richard Carter (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Richard Carter (Earth-One)