Lieutenant Richard Drake was a police detective with the Gotham City Police Department in the 1940s. A widower, Drake trained his only daughter Dinah in the hope that she would become a member of the GCPD. Drake's rookie partner Larry Lance soon began dating Dinah. Soon after Dinah's application to the police academy was rejected, Drake was found dead of a heart attack. Dinah subsequently used her father's training and the inspiration of "mystery-men" like the Justice Society to become the original Black Canary.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Richard Drake's appearance in Justice League of America 80-Page Giant (Volume 2) #1 contradicts established canon. The story, set in 1939, claims that Drake was unmarried with no children. This cannot be true, because his daughter Dinah is fully grown in her first appearance in 1947.
- 3 Appearances of Richard Drake (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Richard Drake (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Richard Drake (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Richard Drake (New Earth)
|GCPD Officer |
This character is or was an officer of, or held a title in the Gotham City Police Department, in any of its various incarnations. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "GCPD members" and "Police Officers" categories.