Rita Beckman was the best friend of Amy Winston.
Rita and Amy were classmates at Emerson Junior High. She discovered early on Amy travelled to Gemworld, and accidentally joined her once. That's how she came into possession of one of the most powerful objects in Gemworld: Dark Opal's clasp, the key to his resurrection.
After Carl Nelligan was trapped on Earth, he hung around with Rita in the hope that it could help in his return. He shrugged off Amy's warnings as a lie, and she believed him. She showed him the brooch, which he took from her by force.
With technology of Gemworld, he corrupted Rita into joining him into luring her father into a trap, as a body was needed for the ritual. When it was completed, she seemingly lost all memory of the events, and when she saw her father's corpse, she went into a fit. The paramedics thought it was drug-induced, and ignored her incomprehensible pleas to warn Amy.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Her birthstone is an opal, which may have helped in her corruption.
- 13 Appearances of Rita Beckman (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Rita Beckman (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Rita Beckman (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Rita Beckman (New Earth)