President Robert Redford was the president of the United States of America, and a former actor.
Robert Redford was an American actor and activist who decided to become a politician in 1980s and run for the position of President of the United States in 1988. Ozymandias's ruse attack on New York City blamed on Doctor Manhattan led to the world stepping back from the brink of nuclear armageddon. Redford won against Richard Nixon and encouraged global nuclear disarmament during his campaign, considered by many to have been behind his victory. The Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev however refused Redford's proposal, which led to a coup-d'état attempt against him 1989.
After the suppression of the coup, Gorbachev soon resigned and the USSR quickly collapsed into independent republics, with Russia taking its place as the global power alongside the United States. The Russian President Boris Yeltsin agreed to Redford's disarmament plan, and Ozymandias encouraged all nuclear powers to exchange information on their infrastructure and nuclear weapons. The publishing of the contents of Rorschach's journal by The New Frontiersman however exposed Ozymandias' ruse, though it went mostly unnoticed by the public. The White House however did take notice and mounted a secret enquiry in 1991, overseen by Redford himself, and found out that it was the truth.
Redford after revealing to the world how Ozymandias had lied, pulled out of the nuclear disarmament accords, which led to an unprecedented rise in global tensions. This also led to his victory in the 1992 presidential elections, in which he had been previously trailing. The politicians soon turned violent against each other over their political positions and the country went into chaos, though Redford was still busy in his favorite pastime of golf. Following the collapse of the European Union, Russia invaded Poland and Redford ordered nuclear strikes in retaliation, though Russia knew exactly where to hit them in response, due to the earlier information-exchange program.
Doctor Manhattan however went back in time after getting convinced by Superman about the importance of sacrifice to save what was important to him, stopping the nuclear missiles from hitting anywhere. Due to the abolition of term limits, Redford later became the longest-serving president. In 2020, he was opposed by the right-wing politican Turner, who was the apparent target of an assassination attempt.
- This character is a fictional representation of Robert Redford, a real person. More information on this person can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Redford makes an appearance in Watchmen #12. Though in it, he was only mentioned as "RR" in a newspaper headline (which was incorrectly assumed to imply Ronald Reagan by some fans) with a photo attached to it, the annotated edition of Watchmen later clarified that it was Redford. The image in the annotated edition without any color shows that it was of Redford himself.
- 1 Appearances of Robert Redford (Watchmen)
- 1 Images featuring Robert Redford (Watchmen)
- Quotations by or about Robert Redford (Watchmen)
- Character Gallery: Robert Redford (Watchmen)
|President of the United States