Roger Corben was the brother of John Corben, the first Metallo. Roger was severely injured by falling debris during a robbery of S.T.A.R. Labs. He allowed the criminal organization SKULL to attach his severed head to a leaden cybernetic body powered by a Synthetic Kryptonite heart in order to seek revenge on Superman for his brother's death. He initially assumed the identity of WGBS Associate Producer Martin Korda, but this ruse was quickly discovered.
The first time that Metallo clashed with Batman was during a criminal scheme in Gotham City, where Metallo tried to blackmail one of the SKULL scientist who transformed him, into improving his robotic body. Metallo was then stopped by Batman and Lois Lane. Metallo was then taken to Superman Island, but shortly afterwards, he escaped using a small black hole that he had created and placed inside him, replacing his Kryptonite heart. Using the black hole, Metallo started yet another crime wave in Gotham City and this time, he was stopped by Batman and Superman, who caused Metallo to be absorbed by his own black hole.
After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Earth-One was merged with four parallel universes to form a New Earth. In the restructuring of reality, the timeline was changed so that John Corben, the first Metallo, never died after fighting Superman. As a consequence, Roger Corben never had cause to become a second Metallo in the New Earth reality.
Metallo would make one final attempt to kill Superman. Joined by a number of humans converted into cyborgs identical to himself, he launched an assault on Metropolis in an attempt to draw Superman out. However, Superman magnetized the giant globe on top of the Daily Planet, thus incapacitating Metallo and his "clones" before they could do any significant damage.
- Cybernetic Enhancement
- SKULL Jet-Scooter
- This version of Metallo, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Three man made radioactive elements made up the Synthetic Kryptonite for Metallo's heart these were Einsteinium, Nobelium and an unnamed element. Each of the elements were stolen from a different S.T.A.R. Labs location.
- After Infinite Crisis, the history of the New Earth John Corben was rewritten and his first appearance as Metallo in the post-Infinite Crisis/pre-Flashpoint continuity had him wearing a costume nearly identical to that of the Earth-One Roger Corben. If this is any indication, it is possible that some of Roger Corben's Pre-Crisis history was shared by the New Earth John Corben.
- 12 Appearances of Roger Corben (Earth-One)
- 3 Images featuring Roger Corben (Earth-One)
- 3 Quotations by or about Roger Corben (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Roger Corben (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."