- Who says you need to wear a uniform and a gun to put a little fear of God into the bottom feeders? Sometimes all you need is the balls. And a camera.
- — Roy Raymond src
Investigative journalist Roy Raymond, Jr. became a member of the Outsiders as Owlman.
Roy Raymond, Jr., the grandson of Roy Raymond, Sr., presented a tabloid television series in Gotham City called Roy Raymond Jr: Manstalker. He was considered by many as arrogant, inept and a huge embarrassment to his grandfather. Batman described Roy as one of the few detectives he admired, but that he "chose to waste his talents on daytime television". As a child, Bruce Wayne rarely missed an episode of "Roy Raymond: TV Detective" (the tv show on which Raymond Sr. would solve real cases in front of a camera rather than dramatize them), but Roy Jr. disgraced his grandfather's name. After being humiliated by Robin III, and missing the opportunity to catch a dangerous costumed gang on television, Raymond disappeared into the world of tabloid television.
Continuing his "Manstalker" program, he investigates the kidnapping of a little girl. Roy's detective work turned up some solid leads on her whereabouts, but he was dismissed as the "crazy television man". Angered, Roy tracked down the girl by himself, and rescued her from the kidnappers. Alfred Pennyworth sought Roy out to offer him a position on a new team of Outsiders after Batman's Death. He accepts that offer and becomes Owlman, with equipment left for that purpose by Batman.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Investigation: Roy is a fairly capable detective, whose skills are considered to be on par with that of even the most intuitive criminal investigator; in fact, he has even garnered the admiration of Batman himself.
- Owlman Suit: Owlman wears a moderately armored suit that has built-in gadgets and features. The suit is pressurized, allowing him to withstand depths and altitudes that a typical human could not normally withstand as easily. The suit has a utility belt with other assorted gadgets, such as a laser for cutting through metal and a grappling hook. The top of the helmet (with the pointed ears and forehead parts) can be launched from the helmet as a possible trump car for when Owlman's hands are not free. This projectile is sharp enough and is shot with enough force that it can embed itself into hard surfaces.
- Flight: Owlman's cape can shift into a set of glider wings that, when coupled with the jet-propelled thrusters in his boots, allows Owlman limited flight capabilities.
- Energy Projection: Owlman can project maser energy blasts from the palms of his armored suit.
- Enhanced Senses: Owlman's headpiece comes with hi-tech sensory equipment. Owlman can project a scanning beam from his eye-coverers that can register a number of observations and turn them into useful data.
- Enhanced Hearing: Another enhanced sensory feature the helmet provides is an enhanced sense of hearing.
- Talons: The suit has retractable claw-like blades sheathed in the gauntlets that extend beyond Owlman's fists and allow him to slash or pierce targets.
- 43 Appearances of Roy Raymond, Jr. (New Earth)
- 23 Images featuring Roy Raymond, Jr. (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Roy Raymond, Jr. (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Roy Raymond, Jr. (New Earth)
|Outsiders member |
This character is or was primarily a member of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its various incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League cannot, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by public relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Outsiders members" category.