Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- I know you don't play sports. You hate the outdoors and you're afraid of heights. You have asthma and allergies. Honestly, you're a bit of a mess. But you're also the only one who knows my tech and what I do with it as the Atom as well as I do. And more important than all of that ... you're the only one I can trust with this.
Ryan Choi is the teaching assistant to the Ivy University professor Ray Palmer, better known in the superhero community as the size-altering scientist the Atom. In addition to his professional duties, Ryan became Dr. Palmer's confidant about his escapades as a superhero. Working together so closely, Ryan became just as proficient in Palmer's tech as the inventor himself.
One day, when researching a collection of time-robberies, Palmer became trapped in a remote location and sent a single message to Ryan for help, asking him to don a Bio-Belt and lead the search to find him.
Justice League of America
After Ryan is scolded by Dean Plumm, Ryan heads back to the lab, via the Wi-Fi using the biobelt. Upon arrival he runs into Batman and Lobo who wanted to recruit Ray Palmer to the Justice League of America II. However after Ryan revealed that Ray was missing Batman decided to leave. When Lobo was impressed with a series equations that Ryan wrote on a chalk board Batman decided recruit Ryan into the Justice League. After being recruited Ryan traveled to City of Vanity, Oregon where he assisted in recruiting The Ray to the team.
Reuniting with Palmer
After several adventures, he eventually reunites with Ray Palmer in the Microverse.
- Genius Level Intellect
- Multilingualism: Ryan speaks at least Cantonese and English.
- Allergies: Ryan Choi is allergic to a plethora of items including most alcohols (except Poire Williams). He also suffers from asthma.
- Phobias: Ryan suffers from acrophobia (fear of heights) and agoraphobia (aversion to the outdoors).
- Restricted Vision: Ryan is nearsighted and so he needs to wear glasses.
- The Atom (Ryan Choi) was created by Grant Morrison, Gail Simone, and Gil Kane, first appearing in Brave New World #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, The Atom (Ryan Choi) first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in DCU: Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.
- 61 Appearances of Ryan Choi (Prime Earth)
- 34 Images featuring Ryan Choi (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about Ryan Choi (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ryan Choi (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.