Ryand'r is the youngest of three siblings born and raised on the planet Tamaran in the Vega star system. He was but an infant during the height of the Citadel War in which the ruling family forged a treaty with their oppressors by offering Ryand'r's sister Koriand'r to the Citadel whereupon she was sold into slavery.
As was customary with youths of noble lineage, Ryand'r was sent to the planet Okaara, there to be trained in the arts of combat by the fabled Warlords of Okaara. When he came of age, Ryand'r's fighting prowess earned him the attention of a freedom fighter named Primus. Primus invited Ryand'r to join his group of freedom fighters, the Omega Men, and assist them in their ongoing efforts to topple the Citadel. Early in his career, Ryand'r was captured by the scientific aliens the Psions and experimented upon. The experiments altered Ryand'r's body chemistry giving him the ability to generate intense waves of heat from his hands. Ironically, both of Ryand'r's sisters Koriand'r and Kommand'r had likewise gained superhuman abilities at the hands of the Psions years earlier.
Ryand'r remained with the Omega Men for many years fighting the Citadel as well as the galactic conquering Spider Guild. At one point, he was summoned back to his home world to bear witness to the wedding of his sister Koriand'r to Prince Karras.
More recently, Ryand'r's powers have intensified and he has taken to calling himself Darkfire. As Darkfire, Ryand'r and the other Omega Men fought against the forces of Lady Styx.
- Tamaranean Physiology
- Energy Absorption: Like all members of the Tamaranean race, Ryand'r can harness and channel ultraviolet radiation. The power of the sun is what gives a Tamaranean their strength and vitality, as well as other unique gifts.
- Thermal-Blast: After being experimented upon by the Psions, Ryand'r can emit waves of concentrated super-heated energy from his hands. Able to burn, sear and flash melt anything he physically touches.
- Flight: By processing solar radiation from the star Vega, Ryand'r can channel this energy to enable himself to fly.
- Nuclear Fire Manipulation: After coming in contact with the Heartstone of Strong Force, Darkfire gained the ability to initiate thermonuclear reaction via force of will. He can now hurl ultraviolet or stellar blasts comprised of radiological plasmoid flames which carry an explosive charge behind them.
- Transformation: The added edge to his power more often than not causes Darkfire to appear as if bursting into flames.
- Energy Projection: Exposure to the Heartstone had changed the nature of Darkfire's powers, now he could spontaneously initiate Nuclear Fusion and detonate himself akin to an atomic bomb at will. Ryand'r could even discharge nuclear fireballs from his person.
- Black Starro Spore:(Formerly) Exposure to a Star Conqueror spore experimented upon by the Psions gave Ryand'r augmented abilities. Causing him to perpetually emit radioactive flames from his body.
- Heartstone: Ryand'r picked up one of four universal keystones which act as the heart of universal existence. Through it he has access to one of four predominant forces that govern reality, his being Strong Force interaction.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Appearances of Ryand'r (New Earth)
- Images featuring Ryand'r (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Ryand'r (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Ryand'r (New Earth)
|Omega Men member|
This character is or was a member of the Omega Men, intergalactic freedom fighters who operate in the Vega system, one of the most dangerous sectors of the universe. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Omega Men members category."