It was founded by a scientist named Garrison Slate, who wanted a nationwide chain of research laboratories unconnected to the government or any business interests. He succeeded not only on a national scale, but an international one as well: S.T.A.R. Labs maintained facilities in Canada, [[Eu The Science and Technology Advanced Research Laboratories, usually shortened to S.T.A.R. Labs, is a research organization with laboratories all over the United States.
It was founded by a scientist named Garrison Slate, who wanted a nationwide chain of research laboratories unconnected to the government or any business interests. He succeeded not only on a national scale, but an international one as well: S.T.A.R. Labs maintained facilities in Canada, Europe, Australia and Japan as well as in the United States, with the total number of facilities numbering between twenty and thirty at last recorded count.
Lex Luthor has attempted to buy out S.T.A.R. on at least one occasion. The technology used to maintain Cyborg's mechanical parts comes from S.T.A.R. Labs. These parts were also used to create cybernetic enhancements for Ron Evers.
The central branch in Metropolis is most likely one of the more recognizable branches, due to its connection with Superman and the various supervillains they hold. During the Armageddon 2001 event, the Metropolis branch was destroyed in the fight between Captain Atom and Monarch, but has since been rebuilt. As well, S.T.A.R. Labs offered help during the time when the Sun-Eater extinguished the sun.
A partial list of some known locations of S.T.A.R. Labs facilities and their research focuses where known includes:
- Austin, Texas (Silicone Hills): specializing in A.I., genetics, and metahuman studies.
- Bengaluru, India
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Central City, Missouri
- Chicago, Illinois: specializing in research and technology.
- Gotham City: specializing in weaponry.
- Keystone City, Kansas
- Los Angeles, California: specializing in genetics and disease control.
- Melbourne, Australia
- Metropolis (Queensland Park Borough, near Metropolis Harbor): specializing in marine biology.
- Metropolis (central branch, New Troy Island): catch-all facility, often seen as a temporary holding area for captured supervillains, as research is made on how to contain them.
- Midvale: specializing in robotics.
- New Mexico: Contains a secret laboratory complex called "The Constellation".
- New York City: specializing in research and technology.
- Phoenix, Arizona: specializing in meteorology and natural disasters.
- Salt Lake City, Utah: specializing in computer science.
- San Diego, California: specializing in chemical research.
- San Francisco, California: specializing in studying meta-humans.
- Seattle, Washington: specializing in studying psychology and psionics.
- Sydney, Australia
- Taos, New Mexico (Earth-16): specializing in Zeta-Beam technology.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Wichita, Kansas: specializing in computer engineering.
Among the dismantled or otherwise inactive facilities:
- Detroit, Michigan: specializing in physics research. Shut down in 2004.
- (Unnamed), Kansas
Equipment: Various scientific equipment
- S.T.A.R Labs's logo has been updated, and is the same logo for S.T.A.R Labs in the ongoing CW series The Flash.
- 989 Appearances of S.T.A.R. Labs
- 11 Images that include S.T.A.R. Labs
- Organization Gallery: S.T.A.R. Labs
- Who's Who in the DC Universe #4
- Tech City: specializing in A.I.,M.L and Deep Learning.
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2) #82
- Atlas of the DC Universe
- Superman Family #194
- Young Justice (Volume 3) #14
- The Flash (Volume 2) #3
- Adventures of Superman #643
- Young Justice (TV Series) Episode: Alienated
- Justice League of America (Volume 2) #20
- Action Comics #522
- The Flash (Volume 5) #27