"Brief Lives part 7": In his hideaway, Destruction decides to practice the art of cooking, explaining to his canine companion Barnabus that even cooking is a method of creating. Barnabus has little enthusiasm or hope for Destruction's ability to create food, let alone
- I am Destiny. I am what must happen, will it or not. And I am your brother. If I could live your life for you, I would. But that is not within my power.
- -- Destiny
Appearing in "Brief Lives part 7"
- Dream (Flashback and main story)
- Destruction (Flashback and main story)
- Delirium (Flashback and main story)
- Destiny (Flashback and main story)
- Death (Flashback only)
- Despair (Flashback only)
- Desire (Flashback only)
- The Corinthian (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Brief Lives part 7"
In his hideaway, Destruction decides to practice the art of cooking, explaining to his canine companion Barnabus that even cooking is a method of creating. Barnabus has little enthusiasm or hope for Destruction's ability to create food, let alone art; he notes that the sculpture outside is little more than a block of marble with holes in it.
Meanwhile, Dream and Delirium have decided to resume their search for their elder brother, though their list of leads is now essentially useless. Dream decides that their next step should be to speak to their brother Destiny in his garden, but in order to get there, they will need to find a maze. Delirium transports them to an amusement park on earth, where a maze of sorts is kept. Entering it, they find that each maze throughout the universe is connected at its core to Destiny's domain.
Naturally, Destiny has been expecting them, and he knows why they have come. His advice is merely that they give up their search, but he knows already that they will not. Cryptically, Destiny suggests that pursuit of Destruction will have negative side-effects for Dream, but he cannot or will not elaborate. Unwelcome is Destiny's further information that the woman Dream pines for will never be his again. Finally, all Destiny can tell Dream is that they need an oracle who can tell about the Endless. The only such oracle that they know of is Dream's own son Orpheus, to whom he has already promised that he will never visit again.
Dream and Delirium arrive on the Greek isle where Orpheus' shrine lies guarded by Andros Rhodocanakis and his family. After some delay, Dream reluctantly speaks with his son while Delirium plays beside the gravestone of Johanna Constantine. After a time, Dream returns with the knowledge they were seeking, admitting that the information came at a cost.
Andros' son Kris rows the pair to a neighbouring island where it turns out that Destruction has been staying for some time. Finally, Destruction greets his siblings and welcomes them into his home for some dinner and talk.
- No special notes.
- Despite the fact that Destruction feeds Barnabus some chocolate in this issue, chocolate is known to be highly toxic to dogs, as the theobromine within it commonly causes cardiac arrest.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Sandman Vol 2 47 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Sandman series