Once an Argentinian secret agent working for Spyral, Don Santiago retired to his millionaire lifestyle but quickly became bored and depressed by a life without adventure. However upon hearing about Batman's activities in Gotham, Santiago was inspired to become the hero of Argentina and took up the title of El Gaucho. He has since became a good friend and ally of Batman, though their shared history with one Kathy Kane has caused tension between the two heroes. Little is known of the Gaucho's activities. Years ago he was part of a shadowy group known as "Spyral", but he ceased his involvement when a woman he had feelings for died while working for them.
Subsequent to this, he was inspired by reports of the Batman to become a hero. When Batman gathered together the vigilantes who became the International Club of Heroes, he was among their number. When the group disbanded, Gaucho took it better than most, using Batman's example to become a respected hero.
He returned to the Club of Heroes for their reunion, and came to Gotham City with the rest of the group to deal with the Black Glove at the end of their campaign against Batman. Upon arriving, the group rescued Robin from an attack by the Club of Villains and Gaucho elminated the threat of Pierrot Lunaire.
Batman traveled to Argentina to ask Gaucho to join Batman Incorporated, but Gaucho rejected the offer.
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
He was later seen fighting alongside Batman Incorporated and was counted among their members.
Powers and Abilities
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Multilingualism: Speaks fluent English, Argentine Spanish and Sign Language.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Before the events of the Infinite Crisis, El Gaucho was active during the 1950s, and his example inspired the creation of the team known as Super Malon. A version of these events may still be valid in New Earth continuity.
- 19 Appearances of Santiago Vargas (New Earth)
- 14 Images featuring Santiago Vargas (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Santiago Vargas (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Santiago Vargas (New Earth)
|Batman Family member |
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a member of the Batman Family. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Batman Family members" category.