"The Ghost of Ferro Lad!": The team has just wrapped a case when a glowing, spherical ship appears and three teenagers come out of it. At the sight of aliens, Shaggy Rogers and Scooby-Doo panic right away. Lightning Lad explaining they are ali
Appearing in "The Ghost of Ferro Lad!"
- Mystery, Inc.
- Legion of Super-Heroes (First appearance)
- Cosmic Boy (First appearance)
- Saturn Girl (First appearance)
- Lightning Lad (First appearance)
- Brainiac 5 (First appearance)
- Phantom Girl (First appearance)
- Chameleon Boy (First appearance)
- Princess Projectra (First appearance)
- Matter-Eater Lad (First appearance)
- Shadow Lass (First appearance)
- Ferro Lad (First appearance) (Dies in flashback)
- Mon-El (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Ultra Boy (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Element Lad (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Colossal Boy (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Bouncing Boy (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Shrinking Violet (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Karate Kid (Mentioned only)
- Douglas Nolan (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Fatal Five (First appearance)
- Khunds (On a TV or computer screen)
- Time Trapper (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Darkseid (First appearance) (On a TV or computer screen)
- Sun-Eaters (Flashback only)
- 30th Century
Synopsis for "The Ghost of Ferro Lad!"
The team has just wrapped a case when a glowing, spherical ship appears and three teenagers come out of it. At the sight of aliens, Shaggy Rogers and Scooby-Doo panic right away. Lightning Lad explaining they are aliens from the future isn't helping, so Cosmic Boy gets them floating and Saturn Girl calms them down telepathically. Mystery, Inc. agree to hear them out.
On their way back to the 30th Century, the three teenagers explain they're members of the Legion of Super-Heroes. As making their way to the rocket-shaped HQ, the three Legionnaires tell they need help from "the legendary ghost-hunting detective, Scooby-Doo" because no one in their era believes in ghosts, and the Legion has no real detectives. So they need someone else to investigate. The Legion's HQ is being haunted by the ghost of Ferro Lad.
Right then a ghastly, giant green figure appears. Neither Cosmic Boy's powers nor Lightning Lad's have any effect on it, and Saturn Girl can't find its mind. The ghost shouts their powers are useless and they must disband the team now before someone else dies and fades out again.
More Legionnaires turn up and join the crowd. Fred remarks there're many of them, and Cosmic Boy states most of Legionnaires are actually off on missions out of the planet. Daphne asks information about Ferro Lad, and Phantom Girl explains he volunteered to carry out a suicide mission and gave his life for the sake of everyone in the solar system.
Velma suggests to pay Ferro Lad's twin brother Douglas Nolan a visit. Douglas knows nothing, though, and doesn't get why they think he'd be jealous of his hero of a brother or resent the Legion.
The group heads back to the base. Velma asks whether the ghost could be a hologram, but Brainiac 5 rules her theory out: light constructs produce detectable energy signatures. Daphne suggests an illusion, but Princess Projectra also shoots that theory down. Then Velma recalls Green Lantern can make constructs out of green energy and asks if they know someone with that power. Her words remind Brainiac 5 there's actually someone who uses green energy, when the ghost appears again.
The ghost attacks the Legion. Brainiac, though, isn't looking at it. Velma gave him an idea earlier. Every time the ghost appeared, they were so focused on it they didn't look at anything else. But now he's looking for something would reveal the perpetrator. And he finds it floating high on the air behind them: the Emerald Eye of Ekron.
The Eye's mistress, the Emerald Empress makes her presence known right then. Cosmic Boy is shocked she'd waste power on a prank. As dissolving her "ghost" construct, Emerald Empress replies it wasn't a prank. She thought she could guilt-trip them into disbanding the Legion instead of battling them, for once. But if they want a battle, they'll have one.
The rest of the Fatal Five turn up next. Shadow Lass tells the young detectives go quickly, but Emerald Empress is going to blast them all into nothingness anyway. Saturn Girl puts her to sleep quickly and Lightning Lad short-circuits Tharok. Cosmic Boy disarms the Persuader, who is quickly neutralized. Mano intends to disintegrate them, but Fred quickly pulls his helmet off. The Persuader faints, unable to breathe oxygen.
There's only Validus left, and is advancing on them. Shadow Lass warns Validus' mind is child-like and can't be reasoned with, which gives Shaggy an idea. He offers Validus the half of his chocolate bar, and a terrified Daphne tells they'll let him pet their dog if he behaves.
Validus accepts both offers.
In the aftermath, the Legion thanks Mystery, Inc. and make them honorary Legionnaires.
- No special notes.
- Ferro Lad's history is a reference to his death in Adventure Comics #353.
- Discuss Scooby-Doo! Team-Up Vol 1 33 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Scooby-Doo! Team-Up series
- Images from Scooby-Doo! Team-Up Vol 1 33
- Legion of Super-Heroes Recommended Reading
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 2)
- The Legion (Volume 1)
- Legion Lost (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 2)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 3)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 4)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 5)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 6)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 7)
- Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 8)
- Legionnaires (Volume 1)
- Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)