- I'm not saying you can't be anything you want to be. But the whole “superhero” thing is much more than just wearing a cape and getting famous. What is it with this “American Idol” generation?
Appearing in "A Book in the Beginning"
- Phantom Stranger
- Ali-Ka-Zoom (Mentioned only)
- Gloriana Tenebrae (Mentioned only)
- Newsboy Army (Mentioned only)
- The Cabinet of Ali Ka-Zoom
- The Mirror of Reality
- Kid William Tell's Crossbow Bolt
Synopsis for "A Book in the Beginning"
In San Francisco, Zatanna and Misty Kilgore make their way to the store of Cassandra Craft, a friend of Zatanna who sells magical weaponry, so they can find a way to stop the evil entity Gwydion from destroying the world.
The duo arrive at Cassandra's store, only to find her worrying about the same threat as Zatanna. Gwydion, or "The Shapless One", as Cassandra calls it, is an elemental shapeshifter chasing after Zatanna and "apparently" intent on the worlds destruction.
As the trio prepare for his coming, Cassandra tells Zatanna about a strange man who visited her. The man gave Cassandra his hat and asked her to tell Zatanna that "he came back for the books."
The conversation leads to Cassandra's latest magical find: the mysterious cabinet of Ali-Ka-Zoom, which can imprison souls. Cassandra also mentions an interaction between her and the Phantom Stranger (New Earth), which took place two years ago.
Gwydion reveals himself to the group, and Zatanna orders Misty and Cassandra to wait outside while she holds the demon off. Gwydion tells Zatanna that he "serves the new supreme architect of the universe", but Zatanna is able to capture him using the Mirror of Reality, Ali-Ka-Zoom's cabinet, Kid-William-Tell's Crossbow, and the hat from the mysterious man.
In the end, Zatanna gains complete control over Gwydion, and the group is visited by none other than the Phantom Stranger, who greets them with fresh bread.
- This book was first published on June 1, 2005.
- This is part 8 of the Mega-series "Seven Soldiers of Victory". Continued in Klarion #2.
- A dead Sheeda "Spine Rider" is seen in a jar in Cassandra's store, almost identical to the one seen in Manhattan Guardian #4.
- Cassandra mentions that the name "Gwydion" is an early form of "Merlin", and refers to a "Royal Were-Dragon" from Celtic Mythology.
- Cassandra states that she sold a few "Dyna-mite Rings" one month ago; which could have been the rings sold to Dyno-Mite Dan, who appeared in Seven Soldiers of Victory #0.
- The incident referring to Ali-Ka-Zoom's mysterious cabinet, is revealed in Manhattan Guardian #4.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Seven Soldiers: Zatanna Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Seven Soldiers: Zatanna series
- Images from Seven Soldiers: Zatanna Vol 1 2
- Zatanna Recommended Reading
- Seven Soldiers (Volume 1) Recommended Reading