A synthetic being created by Professor Andrew Zagarian out of "plastalloy," the mindless Shaggy Man has proved to be a near-unstoppable foe, capable of regenerating from destroyed body parts. To defeat the virtually immortal Shaggy, the original Justice League of America created a second Shaggy Man to battle the first and yet another foe (a mysterious moon creature) and then duke it out in an underground cavern, where they'd remain buried for all eternity. It was later revealed that Aquaman put the unconscious Shaggy Man in a capsule and placed him 20,000 feet below the surface of the ocean. 
The Shaggy Man was later freed by Hector Hammond and transported to the Justice League Satellite. This time it was Green Lantern who succeeded in defeating him by using his power ring to shrink the monster to miniature size and imprisoning him. 
The Shaggy Man last appeared in Arizona, where Green Lantern dropped a mountain on him. Soon after, the town of Justus was built around the mountain, and eventually the Shaggy Man broke free of his mountain prison. The Justice League defeated him after learning from his creator, Prof. Zagarian, that the Shaggy's Man fur was a fiber-optic conduit for energy created by photo-synthesis. The Justice League managed to shave him and dump him on the dark side of Moon before his hair could grow back.
- Superhuman Strength: The Shaggy Man is probably one of the strongest beings on the planet.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Invulnerability: can easily withstand the rigors of space.
- Regeneration: The Shaggy Man could re-grow any severed limbs and recover from any injury in seconds. Once he was totally dismembered with a Superman's punch, and soon regenerated.
- Self-Sustenance: Doesn't need to air, water, food, or sleep to survive. Shaggy Man is powered by photosynthesis, with his fur acting as the conduit. 
- Adaptation: He constantly adapts to forms of attack. After experiencing one form of attack he learns how to resist it in the future.
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: able to smell the adrenaline in his opponent's sweat.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 15 Appearances of Shaggy Man (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Shaggy Man (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Shaggy Man (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Shaggy Man (New Earth)
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."