Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Lives before Shayera
Shayera is the reincarnation of Shrra, an angelic herald cursed by God to reincarnate across space and time alongside Ktar Deathbringer, as she decided to save him by reaching out and making herself visible to him despite the great slaughter he committed. This had interfered with the Presence's plans to let the universe be taken over by the Lord Beyond the Void.
When her father (the emperor of Thanagar) died, her brother Corsar took over and began mining for Nth Metal so his people could use the material to fly again. However he became drunk with power and attacked Katar for opposing him, this led to Corsar accidentally shocking himself to death. Shayera entered the room and ordered her men to arrest Katar for killing her brother, however, Katar managed to escape using a stolen shuttle.
Shayera put a bounty on Katar Hol's head and he was soon tracked to a planet named Earth. Shayera was able to capture Katar and his human friend Emma and was preparing to take them both off world, when Corsar revealed to her that he had survived his encounter with Katar.
A short time later Corsar's ship was orbiting a star, and the Emperor was beginning to extract the Nth Metal from Katar so it could be his own. However, Shayera freed Katar before the process could be completed and managed to get him and Emma to an escape pod. She gave Katar one last goodbye kiss before apologizing to him for accusing him of murdering her brother. She then decided to stay behind and fight Corsar as the ship exploded, presumably killing both her and her brother.
Shayera in fact survived and became the Empress of Thanagar Prime and very protective of the planet's secrets. She was using the Absorbascon's power fueled by the Martian Keep's mind to hide Thanagar's weakness and desolation after her battle with Onimar Synn. After Martian Manhunter discovered this, he and Hawkgirl stopped her, giving her a second chance to rebuild her planet without the mischievous weapon. She later helped the Justice League prepare for the menace of Perpetua.
Powers and Abilities
- Decelerated Aging: As Shayera Thal, Hawkwoman's lifespan, along with Hawkman's, has been greatly extended. It is shown in a possible future that both Hawks' lives might extend into the 40th century.
- Thanagarian Physiology: Thanagarians possess several gifts that are common to members of their race, but sets them apart from normal humans.
- Enhanced Senses: Thanagarians also possess enhanced senses.
- Enhanced Durability: A Thanagarian is also physically more endurable than the average Earth human.
- Enhanced Stamina: Thanagarians have greater stamina and a greater resistance to pain.
- Enhanced Strength: Thanagarian strength is far beyond the range of a normal human.
- Longevity: A Thanagarian's life span is significantly greater than that of a normal human being. At one-hundred years of age, a Thanagarian physically resembles a thirty-year-old Earth human.
- Shayera Thal was created by Gardner Fox, Joe Kubert, and Rob Liefeld, first appearing in The Brave and the Bold #34. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Shayera Thal first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Savage Hawkman #12 by Mark Poulton and Joe Bennett.
- 37 Appearances of Shayera Thal (Prime Earth)
- 16 Images featuring Shayera Thal (Prime Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Shayera Thal (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Shayera Thal (Prime Earth)
|All-Star Squadron member|
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "All-Star Squadron members" category.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
Justice Society of America member