Shyla Kor-Onn was a Kryptonian scientist who coveted a position as a space pilot.
However, her application was rejected because of her sub-standard physical requirements. Incensed but unwilling to subject herself to a physical fitness program, Shyla developed a device to syphon the strength of other people. As draining more victims out, though, she accidentally killed an innocent bystander, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced one sun-cycle -1,41 Earth years- in the Phantom Zone. Still Krypton exploded before she was released.
Many decades after, Shyla managed to escape and made her way to the Earth. Manipulated by Lesla-Lar's spirit into antagonizing Kara Zor-El, Shyla got herself a secret identity as "Sylvia Shadow", and began to work in New Athens Experimental School as a scientist performing research sleep experiments. After several students who signed up for her research started showing signs of narcolepsy, Supergirl, who worked as a student advisor in her "Linda Danvers" identity, got to investigate "Sylvia". Soon she found out about her real identity and intentions, but not before Shyla managed to drain her partially. Shyla attempted to release the remaining Phantom Zoners, but Supergirl tricked her into flying in the Phantom Zone Projector's ray's path, and Shyla was banished again.
A while later, Shyla managed to get herself released by Kandorian officials. Desiring revenge against Supergirl, Shyla downloaded Lesla-Lar's memories of her short time posing as Supergirl and colluding with Lex Luthor to accuse Kara Zor-El from throwing her back in the Zone to keep her from revealing her crimes. Supergirl managed to prove her innocence and warned Shyla against antagonizing her again.
Afterwards, Shyla reformed and joined the Science Council of Rokyn. Upon meeting Kara Zor-El again, she apologized for framing her.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Shyla Kor-Onn possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Shyla Kor-Onn's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Shyla Kor-Onn can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Shyla Kor-Onn's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Shyla Kor-Onn's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Shyla Kor-Onn can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Shyla Kor-Onns can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Shyla Kor-Onn can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Shyla Kor-Onn is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Shyla Kor-Onn is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Shyla Kor-Onn is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Shyla Kor-Onn's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Shyla Kor-Onn is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Shyla Kor-Onn is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Longevity: Shyla Kor-Onn can live longer than regular humans, remaining at her prime as long as she was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Shyla Kor-Onn possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- This version of Shyla Kor-Onn, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Supergirl Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Adventure Comics (Volume 1)
- All-Star Comics (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 1)
- Superman Family (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 2)
- Infinity Inc. (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 3)
- Supergirl (Volume 4)
- Supergirl (Volume 5)
- Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Volume 1)
- Power Girl (Volume 2)
- Supergirl (Volume 6)
- Worlds' Finest (Volume 1)
- Supergirl (Volume 7)
- 5 Appearances of Shyla Kor-Onn (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Shyla Kor-Onn (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Shyla Kor-Onn (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Shyla Kor-Onn (Earth-One)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
|Supergirl Villain(s) |