Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
- ... I am Man Of Grey! I am Grundy!
- — Solomon Grundy src
Solomon Grundy is the Avatar of the Grey.
Death & Beginnings
In life Solomon was just a simple poor man who worked his fingers to the bone in order to support his anxious wife Pinney and newborn child. In 1898, he worked at the local butcher shop while constantly under the watchful eye of his morally dubious boss, Henry Pittance. One day his wife ran out of the office of his employer after what had appeared to be a molestation incident as evident by her screaming, though he quickly fell back in line when Henry ordered it.
Yet hours later Pinney had returned standing atop a conveyor belt with a knife at her throat, soon after committing suicide and rolling into the murky swamp water after apologizing to her husband out of regret and disgrace. Solomon's boss ordered him to pick up the trash immediately afterwards, but by then the devastation had already sunken in. Having suffered a catastrophic crisis of conscious due to his beloved's passing Solomon quickly grabbed his own cutting knife and stormed back into the slaughterhouse.
Quickly massacring his boss and several other employees in rapid succession Solomon finally committed suicide, while chanting the christening lullaby he would often sing to his infant progeny up until the end. Yet something would not let him expire. Either the sound of Solomon's crying offspring ended up reviving him or death was the catalyst necessary for something to revitalize him, regardless as to what triggered the change one thing was clear as day; Grundy lived.
First encounter with the Wonders
Shortly after Alan Scott was given the power of the Green Lantern by The Green, Grundy emerged and attacked Washington, D.C., draining the life from everything he and his tendrils have touched along the way. This brought him into direct confrontation with Jay Garrick (the Flash), Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl), and Al Pratt (the Atom), who fought the creature while the Sandmen evacuated the President from the Oval Office. Alan Scott soon joined the fray, and eventually discovered Grundy's weakness by dragging him to the Moon, where there would be no life to drain.
Return to Earth
Grundy eventually managed to get off the moon, returned to Earth, and continued trying to kill Green Lantern.
Powers and Abilities
- Avatar of Decay: This is due to being the focal point channeling the deteriorative aspect called The Grey, an opposing force towards the life sustaining botanic earthly energies of The Green. Solomon's lifeless corpse has been reanimated into an unstoppable monstrosity of eldritch origin.
- Solomon Grundy was created by Alfred Bester and Paul Reinman, first appearing in All-American Comics #61. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Solomon Grundy first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Earth 2 #3 by James Robinson and Nicola Scott.
- Solomon Grundy is also known as Grundy and Man of Grey.
- 26 Appearances of Solomon Grundy (Earth 2)
- 5 Images featuring Solomon Grundy (Earth 2)
- 2 Quotations by or about Solomon Grundy (Earth 2)
- Character Gallery: Solomon Grundy (Earth 2)
|Green Lantern Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Green Lantern of Earth, or the Green Lantern Corps as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Green Lantern Villains."
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.