"The Parchment of Power Perilous": An 18th century sorcerer attempts to open a doorway to unlimited power. He records the secret on parchment, then realizes that such power is evil. When he attempts to destroy the parchment, his apprentice Narkran kills him. Narkran then uses the parchment to ga
Appearing in "The Parchment of Power Perilous"
- An unnamed 18th-Century Wizard
- The Carstagg Mob
Synopsis for "The Parchment of Power Perilous"
An 18th century sorcerer attempts to open a doorway to unlimited power. He records the secret on parchment, then realizes that such power is evil. When he attempts to destroy the parchment, his apprentice Narkran kills him. Narkran then uses the parchment to gain limitless power and leaves the Earthly plane. Eventually he realizes that his body cannot contain such power. He must return to Earth and find the parchment which he believes contains additional secrets vital to his survival.
Meanwhile, the Spectre helps Jim Corrigan battle the Carstagg Mob. The Spectre acts recklessly and nearly kills an innocent bystander. The Spectre is punished for his actions and will be given a weakness when presented with stressful situations in the future.
Narkran returns to the Earthly plane after 200 years seeking the parchment. The Spectre goes to battle the supernatural foe. As the battle ensues, the Spectre's new weakness presents itself in the form of blindness. The Spectre then must overcome Narkran without his vision. He does so, then he also destroys the parchment. Narkran is destroyed, and the Spectre's eyesight returns.
- The character of Narkran in this issue should not be confused with the former Deputy Leader and would-be tyrant of Atlantis that caused so much grief to Aquaman.
- This issue is reprinted in Adventure Comics #502 and Showcase Presents: The Spectre Vol. 1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Spectre Vol 1 8 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Spectre series