Stalker is an immortal warrior who has sold his soul for prowess in battle.
Stalker was a nameless youth who was thrown out of his home as a child and grew up on the streets of Geranth, even fighting dogs for his food. One day he asked the local Baroness to serve her as a warrior in her castle, but after one year he was nothing more than a slave in her court. He fled, abandoned all hope, and as a young man, offered a prayer at the temple of D'grth, the god of warriors. D'grth answered his prayers, offering power and skill of a great warrior in trade for his soul.
He took the name Stalker from D'grth and did not believe he would need his soul when he was dead. D'grth took his soul and left him alive, void of a soul. Stalker pursued him into Hell and freed an army of the damned to battle the warrior god. D'grth claimed he did not have the power to reverse the trade. D'grth claimed to be an elder god who lived on the souls and prayers of those who believed in him. Stalker's soul would remain D'grth's as long as there was one person alive who worshiped him.
Stalker vowed to banish evil and war from his world to free his soul. If Stalker died before his task was complete, D'grth swore he would have the most awful damnation for him. At the end of World War II, Stalker went insane and evolved into a demon/supervillian and fought the Justice Society of America and the King. He was trying to destroy dimension after dimension to further his quest of eliminating evil. After the battle, he seemed to be destroyed in a time warp generator.
He next appeared in modern times looking younger, healthier and more sane. He encouraged Wonder Woman to recruit Claw and Beowulf to defeat D'grth and Grendel, who had joined forces. When Wonder Woman's party found D'grth and Beowulf, Stalker told them that their souls were being traded for his. Stalker threw his sword at Diana but Beowulf got in front of her and was wounded. Claw tended to Beowulf's wounds, while Wonder Woman stple the Rock of Destiny and transported herself to Earth along with D'grth. She left Stalker alone, apparently with a soul. Stalker had been stealing Wonder Woman's soul since their first encounter. Stalker, reluctantly, agreed to trade her soul back. He joined the team for the destruction of D'grth. He left with an oracle as companion. It is unknown if Stalker had his soul, another soul, or is still soulless since the destruction of D'grth.
Powers and Abilities
(Some powers and abilities were only available during the JSA Returns saga; this Stalker was already thousands years old and was dedicated to destroying all life.)
- Emotionless (the lack of a soul also means that Stalker can't feel emotions)
- Souless: Immune to all powers that are directed against his mystic essence (Spiritual Drain, for example).
- Immortality: When his real age is unknown, it is mentioned that madness settled upon him after three centuries.
- Enhanced Senses: Stalker is fully aware of what is around him. It is impossible to surprise him in combat.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Strength (Corrupted version only)
- Superhuman Stamina (Corrupted version only)
- Superhuman Durability (Corrupted version only)
- Magic Absorption (Corrupted version only)
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced)
- Weaponry: Even bones become deadly weapons in Stalker's hands.
- Leadership 
- Tracking 
- Stalker is literate, which, taking into account his origins, is relevant.
- Mental Disorder (Corrupted version only): Stalker is dedicated to erradicate all life.
- As part of his pact with D'grth, Stalker will lose all powers and abilities if he is infused with a soul.
- It is possible that the Stalker's version that met Wonder Woman can be his past version, before the madness took him. However, there is a dilemma: if true, then D'grth was destroyed and Stalker was never corrupted, effectively prevening JSA Returns event; if false, no explanation for Stalker being alive, sane and without his war-like appearance.
- 19 Appearances of Stalker (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Stalker (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Stalker (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Stalker (New Earth)
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.
|Wonder Woman Villain(s)|
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Wonder Woman and the Amazons in any of her various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Wonder Woman Villains category."