In 1939, the man now known only as "Stanislaus" served in the same Polish Air Force unit as the future Blackhawk, and after the entire Polish military was smashed by the Wehrmacht, these two teamed up and escaped from Poland to England. There they encountered other refugee aviators and volunteer pilots, and they got together to offer their services to the RAF.
Powers and Abilities
- Aviation Stanislaus was one of the best combat pilots in the world, and served with distinction in the extremely elite Blackhawk Squadron for almost two decades.
- Botany Stan once identified an acid-juiced weed that enabled the team to escape a dungeon cell by corroding the door hinges. He also can visually spot the difference between real grapes and a poison fruit from the Forest of Katrovi, in his homeland.
- Chemistry Stan's knowledge of chemistry enabled the team to prove an arsonist's guilt.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Multilingualism Stanislaus understood spoken Russian, as well as his native Polish, German, English, and several other languages.
- Music On festive occasions, Stanislaus played the accordion.
- Seismology Blackhawk Island had a seismographic laboratory, and Stanislaus was a very capable seismologist.
- Singing On their return flights from their many international adventures, it was commonplace for the seven aviators of the Blackhawk Squadron to join their voices in a hearty chorus of their Blackhawk Anthem, often improvising new verses to fit the circumstances of that particular adventure.
- Swordsmanship It's not known exactly how good a fencer Stanislaus was, but during downtime on Blackhawk Island, he and Andre would practice fighting with foils.
- In the Blackhawk Squadron, during World War II, Stan flew a Grumman XF5F Skyrocket ground-attack fighter aircraft. After the war, he flew several early fighter jet warplanes, most notably North American F-86 Sabres, then Lockheed/Blackhawk F-90B and F-90C long-range interceptors.
- This version of Stanislaus, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Per Blackhawk #85, 1st story, in early 1955, Stanislaus is 6', 170 lbs.
- In 1939 Stanislaus served in the same Polish Air Force unit as the future Blackhawk, and has known him the longest.
- In 1944 Stanislaus received a serious bullet wound. In 1952 he was wounded by bomb shrapnel.
- Also in 1944 Stanislaus almost went blind. His vision was saved with transplanted corneas, donated by a dog.
- Stanislaus deliberately crashed his Grumman Skyrocket into an enemy zeppelin. He survived a second plane crash in 1948, when an enemy jet crashed into his XF5F. His third crash was in 1955.
- Like Andre before him, Stanislaus has been apparently killed, then months later returned to the team.
- Stanislaus was knocked unconscious by blunt instrument head trauma at least six times.    
- Stanislaus has been shot down by enemy action only twice.
- Stanislaus served briefly as Attorney General, in the ancient land of Fusang. He later briefly served in a Cabinet position in the democracy of Bolia.
- Stanislaus smoked cigarettes until at least 1941.
- 200 Appearances of Stanislaus (Quality Universe)
- 6 Images featuring Stanislaus (Quality Universe)
- 4 Quotations by or about Stanislaus (Quality Universe)
- Character Gallery: Stanislaus (Quality Universe)
- Blackhawk #20
- Modern Comics #82
- Blackhawk #39
- Blackhawk #49
- Blackhawk #99
- Military Comics #8
- Blackhawk #50
- Blackhawk #71
- Military Comics #31
- Blackhawk #58
- Military Comics #32
- Modern Comics #78
- Blackhawk #88
- Military Comics #10
- Military Comics #33
- Modern Comics #47
- twice in Blackhawk #31
- Modern Comics #101
- Blackhawk #43
- Blackhawk #68
- Blackhawk #63
- Military Comics #2